Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do wheel spacers actually do?....just push the tire out to avoid rub with larger tires?......looking for beefier tires myself and first time I heard about wheel spacers. But want to do it right. Without any kind of lift kit I like the ride yogurt as is till I'm ready to get crazy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thats to much of a risk just to put beefier tires on.....unless I find the same size & width as a stock tire. Just the answer I was looking for thanks.........

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Yep your right, they move the tire out. The reason I have never run them and dont like them much is because it's more bolts than needed. I would rather get the same effect with a different rim with proper back spacing

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm looking at -nitto trail grapplers- sick looking tires but I don't wanna ruin the effect by damaging the car or ruining the tire earlier than recommend from rub.........trying to find a happy medium....good looks, with no rub. ill find out than hopefully find this post and keep everyone posted

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Wheel spacers really don't have any more effect on axles than a wheel with a offset that moves them out. But as mentioned you are adding extra bolts that can fail. I have never heard of a wheel spacer failing that was installed properly and torqued to the correct specs.
They are only about an inch thick so they will not have that much effect on preventing rub or excessive wear on the axles or bearings. A lot of people run them with no issues at all.
The Grapplers are a nice tire but wear quickly and are noisy. Check the internet to get feedback on how people like them. I know people that had them and were not happy.
What kind of wheeling do you plan to do? Is it a daily driver or just a trail rig? What is it, a JK, TJ, YJ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a Jk unlimited (4 Dr). As for right now its an every day driver, I just like the look of the tire, not really trail riding yet. Because I haven't found any on long island and its to late for beach permits. Besides beach permits require so much equipment to be present there's only room for the driver.......so its more or less just for looks now.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Have you looked at the BFG AT? It has the same boxy look without the noise and quick wear.
They are really quiet, last a long time, and are a damn good off road tire for a large variety for terrain. .
The Grapplers would be a bit better in the snow tho'.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Although they do look the same which I don't mind at all I do like the look of the extra tread on the side wall of the grappler. Also upon more research eventually looking into a possible "recreational" beach permit (if it exists) so I don't have to carry a crap load of rod, reels & bait ect. ect.......so I guess it will all depend on if there is even a "recreational" beach permit. If not ill most likely end up with the BFG AT.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
The KM2 has a side tread also. Pricey but a fantastic tire. It can take anything you throw at it and it has a long life and is quiet for daily driving.
I almost went KM2 but the price stopped me. I went BFG/AT because I have had really good luck with them and they perform for me. My Jeep is not on the street much but when it is, I like quiet.
The AT is probably the most popular off road tire for all wheelers as a good general all around tire.
Look at the KM2 and tell me what you think of the look.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Km2's aren't really what I'm looking for that's more of a serious off-road/trail rider.......I'm just looking for looks for now till I figure out what's up with permits and what-not

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Km2's aren't really what I'm looking for that's more of a serious off-road/trail rider.......I'm just looking for looks for now till I figure out what's up with permits and what-not
You need to bring a French shelving unit to the beach?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What-not

Just messing with you. I have a friend and his wife is from New York and she says "what not" in every other sentence. Not common to hear on the left coast.

·
Registered
7 Posts
FWIW, Iv heard good reports about Falken Wild Peak tires.
I know a couple of Jeepers that have them and
they say the tires are great.
Im looking into getting them for my 4 dr when the time comes.
I believe The smallest they come in for the stock 18" rims is 265/60X18
Hope this helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts