Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well I need new tie-rod-ends. My steering is not stock but I don't know what it is. I bought the heep already modified. Can anyone tell me what TREs I need please?

Please ignore the Thornbirds I am getting new tires with my next paycheck :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Those look real similar to chevy 1 ton TRE's but I could be very wrong You would have to take measurements to find out. On The shaft it will be a 7/8" x 18 threads. The part number for the passenger side would be ES2233L and the driver would be ES2234R. Once again I would research them a little to see if those are what was used on your set up, they are failry common. For the drag link the lower should be stock jeep sized, same with the upper.

Just remember I could be 100% wrong, just giving out the info I have,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. Any information is better than what I had before. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you able to ask the guy you bought it from? See what history you can get from him on the Jeep.
No, I bought the Jeep four years ago when I was in high school. I'm now on the other side of the country and I have no idea how to get in touch with the PO.

·
Premium Member
14,500 Posts
Could they possibly be ZJ Grand Cherokee? Just throwing that out there because I did the ZJ steering swap on my LJ.

·
43 Posts
Just a thought but, I have found on my Jeep that when something was changed by the previous owner, it was usually done with the 'latest and most trendy' part information at that point in time. After reading all the reviews, the PO used what was advised at the time if not a stock part. I'd imagine that would give you some direction in looking and identifying the replaced parts your encountering second generation. Like ^ ^ ^ HM was saying.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I would also look into a drop pitman arm. That drag link angle is not crazy but it looks like trouble with possible bump steer and death wobble.
Just an observation. Drop pitman arms are cheap.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
From what I gather coil spring vehicles don't get bump steer like us leaf springers as long as there track bar is at the same angle.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Interrrrrsting. And yet somewhat provocative in it's substance. Keeping the angle of the dangle when you have curlers and all.....

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
I get no axle hop, death wobble and mine tracks perfect. I have actually never had a problem with mine and my leaf spring ride is probably very close to if not better then most of the coils out there.

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Chris, I should have worded mine better, sorry. I have nothing against leaf, or coils, they are different, but BOTH work just fine. My pickup is leaf, its fine, but bad axle hop when I spin the tires. I have driven jeeps with both, and I would slightly , I mean just a bit, prefer the coils. What I often find interesting in my reading, is how some think that coils are horrible, and plagued with major problems. Yet most vehicles made use them, so they cannot be that bad. Was not meant as a bash on leafs, if it came across that way, its my bad writing.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Your axle hop is probably from old worn out leaf springs. Axle wrap happens when they are really old and have had heavy loads over the years.
Bolt on traction bars or an anti-wrap bar will solve your hop problem. Or new springs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts