Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a jeep wrangler I want to add side steps, grill guard, and some other stuff. If there's any tips or advice I would gladly take all I can get! Thanks!

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Nice JK.
We are glad to help, but we need to know what kind of use the vehicle is going to get. Daily driver only? Some light off road? Some medium rock crawling? Scaling the side of Half Dome at Yosemite?
These are important questions to decide what type of side protection etc... you need. Nerf bars are for looks and a step to help you into your daily driver sort of thing. Rock rails are for preventing damage from trail debris.

Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! It's going to get light to moderate off road use because I will still be using it for daily drives. But yes I cannot wait to take it off-roading!

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Good to know.
Nerf bar tubes are weak and bend easily when you slide against a rock or tree. Most off roaders use rock rails. Basically it's a piece of angled 3/16" metal that goes up under the tub and up the side of the tub, usually around six inches each way. Then they have a tube or "rail" that sticks out to protect the tub, and doubles as a step. Much stronger setup and they sit higher to give better ground clearance. Nerf tubes connect to the frame and are sticking out under the body. You loose about four inches from them. Every inch counts sometimes. The Nerf tubes have a tenancy to bend in the middle under impact, and sometimes bend right into the tub. Some people run them but usually eventually change.
Bumpers are a matter of preference.
Some want a big beefy bumper, others light and functional. Looks are important to people too.
A provision or room for a winch in the future is an important consideration. Everybody eventually gets one.
Bumpers provide impact protection and help prevent body damage if they have tubing that goes above the bumper. A "stinger" is a tall loop of tubing that helps in the event of a roll-over to protect the hood, and are also good for preventing endos forward.
A brush guard type protects the fenders and hood from branches.
Some bumpers go all the way out past the frame rails to protect the fenders, others stop at the frame rails to allow for a greater angle of approach for the front tires to get up over a boulder etc...
This is just a brief description of some of the armor you need. Best you read a lot before spending money on stuff and finding out later it was the wrong thing to get.
You have a Jeep. It becomes a sickness you cannot control. You must constantly modify and upgrade or you will become a drug addicted alcoholic lunatic. OK maybe not. But you will get the bug once you start wheeling and see what your new vehicle is capable of.
Ask all the questions you want here on this forum. We have some great vendors that can answer any question you may have, and help you acquire the things you want and need at a good price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow this is incredibly helpful, thank you very much for taking the time to write all of this! I'll post some pics and let you know what all I get. I'll be sure to do my research first, thanks again!

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Happy to help. Any more questions let me know.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
You need really sticky tires and a good winch with a long cable. Nothing to it.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Seaver.... click on this link and it will take you to the vendor area of the forum.
Shoot them all the questions you want and ask about special deals and discounts....

http://www.wranglerboard.com/f4/ <--Linky thingy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts