Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I get? I have been looking at Miller and the 110/220 forgot which model and then just a straight 220 which is a little cheaper. I already have a 110 mig so I don't know if I need the optional one. Thoughts?

·
BPJOOP93
12 Posts
what are you welding? sheilding gas or flux core? how thick is the metal? sheet metal or 3/8 plate steel?
we need more info. if the welder you have now is working for you why get another.
why not get a tig welder if you just want another one?
not dissin just askin.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use it for everything, It will be gas and more plate and tube then sheet. The 110 I have now has a low duty cycle and just does not perform as well as I would like.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Kinda late now but i would have said the 220V welder. If yours uses both, then run it on 220V. Better power and better duty cycle.

Last sunday i picked up a new welder too... a 1976 Miller ThunderBolt 225... :D

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That one is the 220. That was a must for me I just wasn't sure if I wanted the ability to run it on 110 if needed but decided the extra 200 bucks for that ability and I already have a nice 110 said go with a straight 220.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just reporting back that I love this welder. The autoset feature is pretty cool, you just select the metal thickness and it adjusts the wire speed and voltage for you. It is nice that you can also turn it off and adjust it yourself to.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I'm trying to think if I need any welding done.....
I'm watching the HF ads for the 110 watt MIG welder. They go on sale for $89 and I have a 20% off cupon.
It will fit nicely in the storage compartment of my motorhome for those broken TJ moments. lol

·
Registered
979 Posts
Just reporting back that I love this welder. The autoset feature is pretty cool, you just select the metal thickness and it adjusts the wire speed and voltage for you. It is nice that you can also turn it off and adjust it yourself to.
I built my entire Jeep with the same welder and absolutely love it, bitchin little welder

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm trying to think if I need any welding done.....
I'm watching the HF ads for the 110 watt MIG welder. They go on sale for $89 and I have a 20% off cupon.
It will fit nicely in the storage compartment of my motorhome for those broken TJ moments. lol
I bought a HF 220 mig welder one time. It worked great until the wire drive motor went out after using maybe 4 times. I would save my money and get a miller or a hobart, that $89 HF 110 mig is gonna frustrate you to no end. Harbor Freight has some good buys but I stay away from there electronic equipment.

·
have you seen my helmet
12,641 Posts
My wife surprised me with a Hobart 140 for Christmas, works great for what I've built and welded on the jeep and has everything to convert to gas. If I need to weld anything 1/4" and up I can use my dads stick or mig welders.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm looking at a Lincoln 180c or torch mate 181i. Welded a lot with a Lincoln. But the fact that the torch mate is stick, wire, and tig is bad ass. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
858 Posts
I'm looking at a Lincoln 180c or torch mate 181i. Welded a lot with a Lincoln. But the fact that the torch mate is stick, wire, and tig is bad ass. Anyone have any thoughts?
That's the next welder I an buy as well.

·
Registered
858 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ya went and looked at them both yesterday. With a mask, tank and the welder its $1444. Ouch. Definitely going with the torch mate tho.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't remember the size but it stands about four feet tall or so. One of the larger ones, I didn't want to have to run to the weld shop all the time.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts