Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surfing Ebay an cam across a listing for military LED headlights. I'm thinking that military lights will be more rugged for offroad than civilian headlights but the seller says they can not be modified to use in a 12v system. Anyone know of a method of adapting 24v accessories to run full strength on a 12v system?

·
Lazy Slacker
10,451 Posts
I was surfing Ebay an cam across a listing for military LED headlights. I'm thinking that military lights will be more rugged for offroad than civilian headlights but the seller says they can not be modified to use in a 12v system. Anyone know of a method of adapting 24v accessories to run full strength on a 12v system?
A step up power converter but its not cheap..

Edit: if your handy you can make one. However the amperage is low.
http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/12vdc_to_24vdc_converter_circuit.asp

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'm not handy w/electronics and the lights themselves are over $250 so this may be prohibitively expensive for the output of the lights. You can buy civilian LED headlights without the complications. I just thought the military version would be more rugged for off road use.

·
Lazy Slacker
10,451 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm not handy w/electronics and the lights themselves are over $250 so this may be prohibitively expensive for the output of the lights. You can buy civilian LED headlights without the complications. I just thought the military version would be more rugged for off road use.
They "should" be but might not be DOT approved and depending on your inspection station or cops mood if you get pulled over could cause problems. Another option would be to run a dual battery setup and big tail them to up your voltage to 24v and run a step down (easier) for your existing wiring.

Still not cost effective however. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To resurrect an old thread, I found 24 volt military spot lights on ebay that use a normal light bulb (not LED). I like the military look and the fact that the housing are all metal/waterproof and the lens are glass w/retaining rings held down by several screws. Can they be converted to 12 volts by changing the bulbs to 12 volt? What really makes the light 24 volt and can they be made to use a 12 volt bulb without stepdown convertors or other expensive electrical components?

·
Lazy Slacker
10,451 Posts
To resurrect an old thread, I found 24 volt military spot lights on ebay that use a normal light bulb (not LED). I like the military look and the fact that the housing are all metal/waterproof and the lens are glass w/retaining rings held down by several screws. Can they be converted to 12 volts by changing the bulbs to 12 volt? What really makes the light 24 volt and can they be made to use a 12 volt bulb without stepdown convertors or other expensive electrical components?
Are they HID, utilizing a ballast??

If not then with a new socket and bulb you can convert it to 12v..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
No, they are NOT LED's. They are normal lights using a filament bulb. From the reply's to my earlier thread about 24 volts LED's, I've decided that it wasn't cost effective to modify military LED lights, so I'm searching old style but effective military lights. Just noticed that your were asking about HID not LED; same answer, No they are NOT HID. But to follow up on your question, what if they were HID's w/ballast? I've found several sellers on ebay that are selling HID upgrades for Cibie fog/driving/spot lights that fit into the light housings but of course these are HID upgrades of normal bulbs utilizing a 12 volt system.

·
Lazy Slacker
10,451 Posts
No, they are NOT LED's. They are normal lights using a filament bulb. From the reply's to my earlier thread about 24 volts LED's, I've decided that it wasn't cost effective to modify military LED lights, so I'm searching old style but effective military lights. Just noticed that your were asking about HID not LED; same answer, No they are NOT HID. But to follow up on your question, what if they were HID's w/ballast? I've found several sellers on ebay that are selling HID upgrades for Cibie fog/driving/spot lights that fit into the light housings but of course these are HID upgrades of normal bulbs utilizing a 12 volt system.
As long as you are "handy" enough to Change the socket to accept a standard 12v or HID bulb then it really doesn't matter what they were originally wired for. Just remember an HID bulb will require a ballast.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. This info leads to my next question; can I purchase the sockets at any auto parts store or do I check out electronic stores like Radio Shack?

·
Lazy Slacker
10,451 Posts
Thanks for the info. This info leads to my next question; can I purchase the sockets at any auto parts store or do I check out electronic stores like Radio Shack?
Personally I would decide which bulbs are best suited then hit up salvage yards for sockets. Or the internet, amazon.com even sell sockets. ( depending on which style you want / will work in the housings)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts