Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey Guys, new member here looking for some help. Owned andmaintained many cars over the years and have fairly decent shop skills but thisis my first four wheel drive Jeep. Ohhhh he’s so cute yea yea I know. Anyway I havea 98 Sahara with 157000+ miles that I boughtin July. It has a Dana 35 with 3.73 gears. I don’t do a lot of heavy off roadingand it is mostly a weekend runabout. Anyway about a month after I bought it therear axel started whining. I took it to what I though was a good mech. as I said(my first 4x4) When I got it back he said he had to replace all the bearings inthe axel. Well with only 870 miles and a bunch of money later its back in theshop with a popping noise coming from the rear driver’s side axel. I took itback in and now he said that there was some sort of additive that it needs andthat for some reason it did not have enough and that the positive traction unitwas binding causing the noise. My questions are 1.does this sound legit. 2. Ifnot what else could it be? 3. I only drove it like this for maybe 40 miles orso do you think that was enough to do any real permanent damage? 4. I know thatthere is a lot of debate about the D35 and the D44 and I know that the D44 issuppose to be a much better axel but, as stated before the Jeep is mainly usedfor moderate off road trips. For what I am using it for wouldn’t the D35 be sufficientif I am forced to scrap this axel and start over? I have been looking for a D44and they are as hard to come by as hen’s teeth. And when I do find one they arereal proud of them. And last I know that the 97 through 2002 will fit under my98 but are there any other years even if I have to go to disk breaks that willwork? Thanks for any help. It would and will be greatly appreciated.

·
8,091 Posts
It sounds like you have a limited slip diff and the mechanic put in the wrong lube. That being said I would not let a mechanic that had the diff out and in his hands work on my jeep again. If he can't tell it's a limited slip when the parts are in his hand how can you trust the bearing replacement. If your not a hard core off roader and don't go over 31" tall tires your D35 will do fine. If you plan on bigger tires down the road get the D44. Also check gearing with tire size.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I’ve already decided that he was not going to get back in there. Just got to find someone I cantrust now. What about permanent damage? You think I may have screwed it up by drivingit like that? Right now it’s on 30” tires. I don’t have any planes for this Jeepto be in the woods a lot but I am nosing around for something else to playwith. And thanks for posting I was getting lonely out here.

·
8,091 Posts
I’ve already decided that he was not going to get back in there. Just got to find someone I cantrust now. What about permanent damage? You think I may have screwed it up by drivingit like that? Right now it’s on 30” tires. I don’t have any planes for this Jeepto be in the woods a lot but I am nosing around for something else to playwith. And thanks for posting I was getting lonely out here.
As far as permanent damage I don't think so. But it could get expensive.

·
8,091 Posts
Without seeing it I can't tell. But a clutch pack if that guy is telling the truth. That needs to be new.

·
8,091 Posts
For a D35 you have the best you can have so if its cheaper than a new D44 I would keep it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

What about the clutch pack? If it is fried does that mean the rear axle is dead until the clutchpack is replaced or can it be driven but just not have as much traction asnormal?

·
8,091 Posts
What about the clutch pack? If it is fried does that mean the rear axle is dead until the clutchpack is replaced or can it be driven but just not have as much traction asnormal?
Don't drive it. The clutch pack can throw bits ant pieces out and hurt the ring gears.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Ok. So I’m dead in the water until I come up with a rear endor rebuild this one. Don’t suppose you know anyone around Atlanta Ga. ColumbiaSC. Or Charlotte NC that might have a D44 they need to dispose of that I won’thave to sell my blood to be able to afford it?

·
8,091 Posts
Get on last post wins and look for blackrubi spelling might be off. I think he's in your area.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Ok so I got my ride back this afternoon and all seems ok butits only about 5 miles to the shop so I didn’t get a lot of road time inbringing it home but I will check it out this week end. I did get in touch withBlackrubi (nice guy) but it did not work out. I think I am still going to keeplooking for a D44 and build it slowly until I get it as I want it. Maybe bythen I can beg the wife to let me have another toy to put it in, thanks for everyone’shelp though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well The Plot Thickens

As yall might remember few weeks back I had an issue with myrear axle making all sorts of noises. Well I took it to an off road performanceshop last Friday and let the owner check it out. It was still making the badnoises and he said it sounds like a Bering. When I got it home I tore into it. Theouter wheel bearing on the drivers side was bad and came out in pieces also theaxle was bad, probably from the bad bearing. Anyway the thing I don’t understand.When I feel inside the axle tube I can feel a seal just like the one on theoutside of the bearing. Now I have a FSM so I tried to find this inner seal andI can’t. I even went to the local Jeep dealership and ask there mechanics andthey all said there was not suppose to be a seal in the tube. Then I remembered.The, I’m trying to be polite, person that hadworked on the axle before said he had to use some sort of repair bearingbecause the axle was bad and this repair bearing moved the contact point on theaxle. Oh and when they installed it, they busted it in the back. So I pulledthe passenger side axle and guess what I got one on that side also, only thisone is in one piece. It looks like the inner seal and the bearing is made togetherbecause they share a common race. Has anyone ever heard of such BS?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.