Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People always want to know how other people tow there junk so here is my tow setup

Hitch

Chained up

I think Im gonna get some J hooks for the front to go faster but this workes

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Not to nit pick or anything but your front chain would illegal in CA. They always say what if it broke right there in the middle, you would loose both sides tie down. Here you have to have one chain and binder for each corner so if one goes you still have the others.

In that case you should swap it out for a shoelace and ratchet srap rated for 300 pounds. That would be ok.;)

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I think its illegal here also, theres another way I do it where I run the binder from the other side of the D ring so there is slack in the center. I should do it that way again. Lookin at it now I dont know what I was thinking this time. Oh well , I'll do it right next time haha

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
I have a habit of doing it the same way as you. I was told you can use the same chain if you do hook it to the D ring itself.

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Most government rules make no sense anyways. If one corner breaks, the jeep can now shift to the side causing the other chain to become loose and fall off easily anyways. So while I do get what you are saying, and their reasoning, the idea is largely flawed. Plus he used large chain and real cinches, so any government moron looking at it should be much happier with his set up than most I see.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah but Chris is right. If that chain were to break in the center then I would have nothing holding it in the front. the way i usually run it it acts as 2 separate chains.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
It is a fairly new law here (in the last few years) I used to haul equipment for work and had to keep up on it. They require one on each corner and then one for each attachment and one for every ten feet of length if it is a long one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts