Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
here is my 99 xj that has dana 60 front and dana 80 rear with 14 inches of lift and 40 inch mtrs but im just starting to work all the bugs out but build is on hold till my 79 j10 is done but heres some pics

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
That's quite an angle on your drag link. I see you having issues. Does it have a drop pitman arm?

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Looks as if you have the evil Dodge Dana 60 front. Good luck with that one and finding parts, i have been fighting it for a year now.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
As long as the trackbar matches the length and angle it'll work
It's a big Right coaster Jeep
Still some of those look cool
I don't see a track bar.
The angle that the drag link is pushing appears to be pushing downward on the hub.
I'm not saying it won't work, it just looks like the geometry is awkward and has the potential to bind and snap that bolt at the wheel end of the drag link.
I don't have a suspension with curlers like that so I'm no expert.

·
Registered
237 Posts
There are a couple things scary about this build as mentioned the bolt for the draglink/tierod already looks bent and the spring buckets/boxes need some serious help. I love my XJ and all but why is an XJ build in the wrangler build section???? Just wondering.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Pretty sure that the draglink connection to the tie rod is not the final one. Looks more like mock up. I have about the same angle on mine and I get crazy amounts of bump steer.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Hydro steer. You need to throw more money at it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes i guess so the more i look at it there is no high misalignment spacers and the dr side tierod has a bolt no nut. I have around 10 in or so of lift on my cherokee also but i have the tera flex high steer arm so its not as bad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
yea im planing to go hydro steer just way to tall for regular steering and that was mock up but ive been focused on my jeep j10 honch for now the cherokee has been put on back burner for now i was wandering if anyone knows if i could put a regular axle shaft in the disconect dana 60 to eleminate the shift fork on the split shaft
the cherokee has been driven around the farm with no issues but i am redoing the axle mounts and trussing the whole axle
and its the dodge disconnect crappy axle but the price was good at the time of build

my j10 is being modified to race dirt drags i will get pics of it up on here soon thanks for all the input

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
I have heard that Ford 35 spline stuff will fit in that axle, (I have the same axle in my jeep) but you will need to swap out everything since Dodge is 32 spline.

That is still a Dana 60 and a very strong axle. I have a buddy who also runs one and he beats is like no other and has never had a problem with the disconnect so I would leave it.

If you were interested in high steer on that axle you can swap out everything from the knuckles out with Ford 92-96 Dana 60 parts, they are also balljoint and it will get rid of the unit bearings. A great swap if you plan on keeping that axle.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The difference in steering setups between Leef sprung YJ's and Coil sprung TJ's and XJ's is a big one Chris you have bumpsteer because of the angle of the draglink and the axle moving straight up and down with leafsprings a TJ or a XJ has a trackbar and as long as you make the trackbar and draglink the same length and run them parallel there should be no bumpsteer since the axle will move sideways and everything stays happy. Flatter is better but even in this setup you can make the steering work. Big question is why so tall, my TJ has about 4" of lift and clears 40's just fine.

·
Registered
142 Posts
way *******...love the big as xj builds...this is the one getting the v8 jobbie soon.....

nice work there brother...got a linky to a build thread anywheres

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
The difference in steering setups between Leef sprung YJ's and Coil sprung TJ's and XJ's is a big one Chris you have bumpsteer because of the angle of the draglink and the axle moving straight up and down with leafsprings a TJ or a XJ has a trackbar and as long as you make the trackbar and draglink the same length and run them parallel there should be no bumpsteer since the axle will move sideways and everything stays happy. Flatter is better but even in this setup you can make the steering work. Big question is why so tall, my TJ has about 4" of lift and clears 40's just fine.
Good to know, thanks for the info. I didn't know that but it makes sense. So what you are trying to say is that I need coils?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i really apreciate the input and ideas from everyone because when i get all the bugs worked out of the xj i will be using the better stuff for my lj to build it as big here in ky our lift laws state that 13' 6" max height and what ever mortal man deams safe im planning 2 1/2 tons for cherokke eventually then move the dana 60 and 80 to the lj when funds will permitt concidering im disabled basically im using the xj for my expirament vehicle. this is where i would like to get it to eventually as big as my buddy's dodge

·
Registered
979 Posts
i really apreciate the input and ideas from everyone because when i get all the bugs worked out of the xj i will be using the better stuff for my lj to build it as big here in ky our lift laws state that 13' 6" max height and what ever mortal man deams safe im planning 2 1/2 tons for cherokke eventually then move the dana 60 and 80 to the lj when funds will permitt concidering im disabled basically im using the xj for my expirament vehicle. this is where i would like to get it to eventually as big as my buddy's dodge
If that works for ya then there is nothing wrong with that, for the stuff I like doing, that no worky.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts