Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its simple, or so I thought, before looking.
All I want is a mower that cuts grass well, is reliable, and I can put a blade on to push a little snow in the winter. But the choice are so varied, and sales people so uneducated, I still have not bought one. My lawns are anything but flat, most all of it is on somewhat of a slope, some is a little steeper, but not real steep. I have trees to go around, fences, and retaining walls to. I have a push mower for the tight areas, and use that as well. In winter, we get some snow, but not a lot. My driveway is long, and again its sloped, but I want a blade to scrape the snow off it. Suggestions, even if it is just what brands to be sure an avoid. It does not need to be fancy, just work well.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Stay away from John Deere and Husqvarna. John Deeres are rattle traps and expensive to repair. Their transmissions are weak. Noisy too.
Husqvarna is using Honda motors in their push mowers but not their riding yet last I checked. They used the Robin motor and parts are very hard to get.
Anything Honda is good.
Craftsman is good. I blew up the 27hp Kohler engine (threw a rod) in mine but when it was running it was powerful, quiet, and started every time. It had a rod knock when we got it but used it like that for seven years trouble free. The bagger worked great. It was comfortable too. (I have nine lawns on five acres with lots of trees and bushes as an obstacle course).
I have a Kabota L2550 diesel tractor with all sorts of attachments like a bush hog for the pastures and moving dirt/rocks etc... We don't get snow here. If we did I'd move south.
The zero turn mowers are more for smaller jobs.
Good luck with your search.

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
I'll be honest, we picked up a nice craftsmen 26hp 54" deck.. Cuts well.. Starts every year after sitting in an un heated garage.. Haven't had any issues for a few years now. Price was right too.

My father runs a Kabota at his farm.. Very nice tractor as well. The finish mower cuts smooth and even if you have enough room for a larger tractor.

Lastly.. Please be careful, you talked about your yard slope.. A friend of mine rolled his last month and was pinned under it.. He is no longer with us.

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The photo needs to include a BBQ in it as well :) Keep the info coming, liking it so far, and sounds like maybe thr Craftsman is good. I am cautious, I mow the hilly stuff myself, and the bottom I just let remain wild as its too steep. I tipped my current mower over the first time I cut the lawn here, I was used to my almost flat lawns in Vancouver.

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
Yeah my buddy was on a kubota 2350.. A lot taller then the craftsmen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.