Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Resident Grouch
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Y'all,

Can I mount an XRC8 winch on my 2000 TJ with stock front bumper? I know I'll need a winch plate and have to remove the sway bar cover. But, will it work? I do plan to upgrade the bumper at some point, but this is a steal. Thanks!:)

·
Registered
979 Posts
Sure, why not? Order a winch plate from Harbor freight they had one that fits a Jeep TJ and it's cheap and works fine. The winch plate doesn't really care what bumper you have since it bolts on top of it. It doesn't use the structural part of the bumper it bolts on top to the frame with 4 bumper bolts and the 2 front swaybar bolts

·
Trail Mom
7 Posts
Absolutely!
I ran mine like that for quite awhile.
It uses the frame rails for strength, not the bumper.

·
Resident Grouch
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. :)

·
Trail Mom
7 Posts
If you're so inclined, you can chop your bumper, it doesn't look too bad and gives you good tire clearance. Here's a pic of Ajax "back in the day"
Wow, I feel like a parent watching my child grow up. I can't believe how much he's changed since this pic was taken.

*edit* man, I wish my tires were still that new!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I mounted my 12000lbs winch to my stock bumper I made a plate that the winch mounted to then mounted it to the front bumper with two bolts and another bolt going to the bumper support to keep the plate level I'll post pictures later

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wouldn't high jack your thread but it looks like you were done...I have a stock bumper but I have a grill guard minted to it. Will I still be able to mount a winch and keep my grill guard?

image-1808610288.jpg

·
Trail Mom
7 Posts
I wouldn't high jack your thread but it looks like you were done...I have a stock bumper but I have a grill guard mounted to it. Will I still be able to mount a winch and keep my grill guard?

View attachment 2453
It's going to depend on a couple of things. How much space you have in the middle of that guard or if it's far enough forward to allow clearance for your winch and where you will mount your fairlead. Get some measurements from the winch you want, if everything will fit then you should be good to go.

A lot of those "grill guards" are designed to protect a winch.
Maybe contact the manufacturer and ask them. They may even have a winch plate available that is compatible. Does it have a flat plate built into it by any chance?

One of the GREAT things about steel is that you can modify it.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Post a picture of the bumper. If it's stock, no. Some aftermarket bumpers have the winch plate built in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My advice would be NOT to copy Daniel's mount (a few posts back.). It doesn't look like his is attached to the frame, as the plates from Rough Country, Rugged Ridge and others bolt into the frame where your front tow hooks bolt in and on the swaybar bolts. That is 6 grade 8 bolts holding it to the actual frame, where it will have the strength to hold when you're pulling yourself (or others) out of a stuck.

I apologize Daniel, if I am wrong about your winch mount; but from the pics, it doesn't appear to be tied into the frame of your jeep at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well just do you know the one I made that you said has no support to the frame has more then the ones you buy from the store. It has ten bolt holding it to the frame it's self on top then two more on the under side of the bumper.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts