Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plan to do much of the regular stuff myself, so looking for advice.
The vehicle in question is a 2 door Rubicon, manual, new not used, in fact its not even here yet, but has been ordered.
So besides changing the engine oil & filter, checking tires, lights, and looking for loose/broken items visually, what do I need to do?

·
I'm not lost
790 Posts
If you take it off road you will need to be sure to check nuts and bolt regularly specifically in your suspension, lube all lube points ( more frequently if you pressure wash the underside frequently)
I know there is more stuff, but my brain is not working right now LOL

·
Registered
21 Posts
The only thing you can do to a JK is change the fluids. There are no zerk fittings. When you get it, in the owners manual there will be a chart that shows when & what fluid need to be changed and what type to use.
If you do this yourself keep records of it , make copies , save then in a file.
When and if you need warranty work you can show the dealer that the jeep has been maintained.
One other thing you can do is rotate and rebalance your tires every 3,000 -5,000 miles. Again keep records of this.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Doesn't it?

Since you launch boats sometimes i would also keep a close eye the the oil in your rear diff if you get water up to the hubs. If the seals failed you could get water in your rear axle, and that would be trouble.

·
Premium Member
14,500 Posts
I change the oil in my diffs and transfercase once a year. Overkill? Maybe.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I change the oil in my diffs and transfercase once a year. Overkill? Maybe.
It is not overkill! Sure, the oil will last a lot longer (same with engine oil), but you need to remove dirt and water that may have entered the system. The only sure way to know is to drain the oil and check it. Also, you can look for metal shavings. Even will full synthetic oil (blends are a waste of money) it will be under 30 bucks a year! Get a LUBE LOCKER gasket for the diffs and you are all set for a quick oil change or inspection!;)

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
One other thing with the differentials if you don't know. They have a drain plug on the lower corner. When you remove the cover spray the inside and cover down with brake cleaner to clean them out.Have some rags handy and wipe out what you can.

·
Premium Member
14,500 Posts
Where do you buy the re-useable gasket from? What oil do I need for a JK Rubicon differentials? And do you also service the transfer case and transmission at the same time? If so will they require the same, or a different fluid. The transmission is a 6 speed manual gearbox.

I believe I got mine from Quadratec, best thing I ever did. Makes changing diff oil a breeze.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Where do you buy the re-useable gasket from? What oil do I need for a JK Rubicon differentials? And do you also service the transfer case and transmission at the same time? If so will they require the same, or a different fluid. The transmission is a 6 speed manual gearbox.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetra...asket.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=4018&t_pl=9726
You also should extend the breather hoses for the axles, tranny, and transfer case, as high up as you can get them. I connected 3 of them and ran them up to the RR tail light; the front next to the battery. This will keep the water out as long as the seals are ok.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts