Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking and looking for a luggage rack for my wrangler X 2 door and i can't verify what exactly type i need. I have nothing on top as of now.

Someone tell me if it can be installed w/o having to install those bars going across,, or sideways. I'm very confused and GREEN about this but i am in desperate need of more storage for trips.

thanks!

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
I am pretty sure you need a special rack to carry the luggage bins. If you have a hitch receiver on your jeep, and are not towing, there are some nice storage boxes made to be carried there as well. Not offroading though, as you would have serious clearance issues with that back there. But for road trips, awesome. I saw some from Smittybuilt, both styles, maybe google it. Best of luck to you, and hope you keep us informed on what you get.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
There is also this type.....

How much storage do you need?
There are several racks similar to this one, and racks that mount above the Jeep top as well.
Scroll back to the top of this page, click on "Forum", then scroll down to "Vendor Showcase".
There are vendors there that not only support this site but will also give you great deals and discounts for being a user here.
Either use their search feature on their web sites or contact them and explain your needs. They will know much more.
Be sure and post what you end up with here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i found those that attach to the back. and to be honest, i've found ones that attach on top,, but i wanted someone who had done this after market to tell me what all will actually be required to mount one on top.

thanks, friends, for the replies!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Mounting a rack on top depends on several things. The first is what you are mounting it on? The second would be what kind of rack you prefer. If you are running a single piece hard top, and don't need to carry too much weight, you could mount regular load bars on the top. I think you first post states that you do not want this kind. The other option is a full rack that mounts to the lower windshield/cowl area and the rear corner. I had this kind of rack on my old YJ and it worked ok. Gobi racks are highly regarded but are fairly expensive. There are less expensive choices out there you just need to decide what features you are willing to pay for. As far as what will be required, just about all racks will come with all the hardware required. The tools required are usually just basic hand tools.
I wish I still had the YJ to take a picture of :)

·
79 Posts
Your best bet is to go to Jeep show and shines, Meet and greets, and club gatherings. Major Jeep events. Lok and see what others have, talk to them. They can tell you Get it , stay away, easy or hard install, You get to see what the quality is . Most people , Including me, use a cage to support the rack in case you want to take your roof off, or drop your soft top, or dont want to drill holes and have them leak. Good luck.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts