Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Several options for a YJ. You can do a body lift which is cheap but I would not recommend anything over an inch or so. You can do a shackle lift but again I wouldn't recommend anything over 3/4" to an inch. and you can combine those two as well. From there you step up to suspension lifts. Rough Country seem to be the most cost effective lifts around. They have mixed reviews but I have run three of their kits with no issues what so ever. They run under 500 bucks usually. You could also do bastard packs which is where you build your own leaf packs from junk yard donors. Hope this helps a little.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I've done a lot of bastard packs and they seem to work the best since you can set them up for your specific needs and wants. They just take a little more time to dial in but in the end you'll be happier.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
First figure out how long of a spring you want to use then go to a wrecking yard and start measuring. I usually have had goo luck using Chevy main leafs to start with. then start adding or taking leafs away until you get what your after. Meaning height and ride quality.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Early to mid 90's Chevy S10 rear leafs seem to be the most popular leafs used for bastard packs. Basically you are just adding the S10 leafs to your YJ leafs.
It's a pretty simple job if you have an angle grinder. I did a bastard pack on my rear springs when I broke a leaf on my lift spring.
It will run you the cost of the springs from a boneyard and some new u-bolts from O'Reily's auto parts that are a bit longer and grade 8 strength. You can either buy a new centering bolt or make your own from a grade 5 bolt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just updating i went with some 31 inch super swampers and i made my own shakle lift out of quarter inch steel and detached the sway bar and i say its pretty nice for 575 for tires and rims and a couple of bloddy knuckles for the lift

ForumRunner_20120703_093913.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts