Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an all stock 04 tj 4 cyl. I was wondering how big of tires I could fit with out a lift? And also some less expensive performance mods i could do so I'm not loosing to much power. Can't afford an engine swap and am having trouble finding performance parts for the 4 cyl.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea that's what I was thinking was gearing and wanted a second opinion. But as far as tires that's cool thanks guys. Im trying to get into this with a limited budget. I'm in the military about to get out this month and as much as I Want to drop the savings into the jeep I gotta get a place and living first. Lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you want to go out and run some some gnarly trails on a limited budget heres what you need:

lift: you can buy a 2" budget boost that comes with shocks for a couple hundred bucks.

Swaybar Discos: Even in stock form, this modification will make your jeep a completely different beast offroad. you will gain a TON of suspension travel

Some nice 31x1050 or 32 1150 (trimming required) mudders on black steelies (4 and a half in. backspace for an 8 inch wide wheel)

This is important: If you decide to run a 10.5 inch wide tire make sure to ask the tire shop for a 15x7 wheel. If you plan on airing down on the trail, this slightly narrower wheel will allow you to run lower tire pressure than the standard 15x8 wheel will allow without running the risk of debeading the tire.

Homemade rocksliders and gas tank skid (your gonna be draggin on shiat!)

*** and this one is key, pull that rear diff cover off and weld the spiders :D:D:D

WINCH: ask my buddy joe how much fun it is to be stuck in the mountains waiting for hours for me to come rescue him with two hungry kids and the girl with him.

SPARE JUNKYARD AXLE FOR THAT WELDED D35: (you'll probably need it:p)

As far your engine is concerned, trying to get more power out of it would be a futile attempt. Instead spend that money to change all the fluids in your rig, flush the cooling system, and inspect and replace your front axle u joints as well as driveline u joints. You would be amazed at the things you will find by crawling around and putting a hand on everything. a little preventive maintenence goes a long way when you spend time far from any tow trucks reach.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Stay away from the black (or any color) steel wheels...that's a lot of added unnecessary weight. I was surprised how heavy those damn things are.
Steel wheels are heavier than aluminum ones. However, they are only 50 dollars new. Were talking about budget builds here. ;) I mean alot of jeeps came from the factory with steel wheels right? Also, any wheel can get bent when running low tire pressure offroad. Steel bends, aluminum cracks. I would rather have a chance to save my cheap steel wheel with a BFH if i bend it than knowing im paying 150+ for a new aluminum one if it gets bent. Mud rocks and roots reak havoc on the finish as well. With steelies you can do a $2.49 wally world buzzbomb repaint when/if required. (logic of a broke college student :D)

The money saved over buying aluminum rims could buy a budget boost or swaybar discos!

That Said: I run aluminum wheels on my Jeep!!! only reason is because i found them cheaper than i could find new steelies for. They are referred to as my jeeps .."Bling.." After wheeling on them for the last two years they look like hell with rock rash and all the mud scratches and dulls them. They have not let me down though they've been hit on rocks and trees numerous times never lost a bead, never bent and i run 8 psi in the mud and as low as 4 in the deep snow. I think alot of strength has to do with the design of the wheel.

and all that said: Anyone want to trade me for their NICE set of steelies? :eek::D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for that! Very much appreciated info I'm all new to this but tryna get through the door! I'll deff put some updates on how she comes out as I get some of this done to it! Man I'm so looking foward to all of this too!

·
Registered
48 Posts
not sure where your from, but the pic looks like it could be in washington. The naches trail is a great run for lightly modified rig. Theres some challenging hill climbs that are fun but not too intimidating for the new offroad driver. welcome to the wheelin community and one of the most addictive hobbies on earth!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea actually currently I am in Washington. Stationed out here with the army but I'm out at the end if this month and moving back to maine. And thanks I've already had to much fun on some trails and small hills with it all stock so I can only imagine the fun to come!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
WaWheeler has some great suggestions. I would recommend a winch first, before welding the rear (or installing a locker). With the budget boost, you can run 33"x10.5" tires on your stock rims. So you don't rub on the LCAs or swaybar, put a washer or two behind the steering bumps. Another good mod would be a 1" (or 1.25") bodylift & the same sized motor mount lift.

There's lots you can do on a budget to make your Jeep more capable. With a little imagination, a little know-how (which can be learned ;) ), along with some wheeling & dealing, and generally getting involved with the right people, ALOT can happen.

One guy here built his 4 cyl. TJ on a budget, scored over 1300 on the RTI ramp, to come in second. Spent the whole Jamboree following the guys running 39" & bigger tires. He only has a lift of 1", after his modifications, and is running I believe a 34" tire.:cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have an all stock 04 tj 4 cyl. I was wondering how big of tires I could fit with out a lift? And also some less expensive performance mods i could do so I'm not loosing to much power. Can't afford an engine swap and am having trouble finding performance parts for the 4 cyl.
I'd guess you have the steel wheel stock on your jeep, you can wrap those with some 33x10.5 tires and buy a 1.25" BL, MCE flat front fenders(they are cheaper then steel ones), then remove your inner rear fender liners, make sway bar discos, and install a spacer or two in your steering so you don't rub your new tires on your Stock lower arms and your jeep will look something like this..

·
Registered
411 Posts
Here's my 2000 2.5L I4.
33x12.50R15 Falken Wildpeaks on 15x8 American Racing Outlaw 1 Wheels.
I haven't lost that much power, but then again I don't care about speed and I tend to take the scenic route to wherever I'm going, mainly for Good food and awesome scenery. I can do the speed limit on the freeway if I have my top on and windows on,
I also have a 2.5inch Budget boost, will be doing a 1.25in Body lift soon. So that way when I get the lift I want... I can do a Belly Up skid plate.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts