Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think most of us know that the stock OEM location for the YJ license plate is basically a failure. Spring loaded with the gas cap right behind it so you had to hold your foot ontop of the plate just to be able to pump gas.

Since my last plate got stolen, and they took most of the bracket with them, I decided just to ditch the wretched thing entirely. I thought about where I'd like to put it the most and I see most people putting them on their bumpers or bumpettes, or mounting it permanently to where the OEM location is and relocating the filler nozzle to where the TJ's is. But I rarely see people mounting them in the middle of the spare tire.

I happened to have a handful of these T shaped fence mounts lying around so I decided to use those. Took about an hour to cut one up to fit inbetween the top 2 lugs for the spare, then I bent it up and bent another one up to hold the plate. Bolted the 2 pieces together, drilled some new holes in the plate and bolted it all in.

Going to have to re-drill some holes to push the plate bracket out a bit farther so I can fit a wrench up in there. Have an LED light ordered up, should be here by saturday so I'll post a full writeup on a DIY license plate relocation.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
^Nothing, any LP can be stolen within 15 seconds or less. All it takes is a high speed drill and a common phillips/flathead screwdriver tip. Or they could be yanked off, like mine was.

$19 to replace, including a new registration sticker (not a renewal sticker, unless you want to go that route).

Will do a writeup on monday, my light won't be here until tuesday so I've been taping this small white 3v LED light to my light mount, which lights up the plate just enough to be legal. That's when I go out at night, which i normally don't (not on marked roads anyways).

I tell you what though, felt so good to not have to stick my foot up ontop of the LP to keep it from smacking closed when I went to get gas the other day. Even though I had to hold the pump upside-down, it didn't feel awkward at all. Just need to get some bondo or something to fill in the holes where the old bracket bolted to. and paint, although I think I'll just wait until I MONSTALINE the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So nobody here has a little Captain in them?

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
i rather like the location of the stock plate, most people dont realize theres a gas cap behind it which is nice, also its not that hard to hold it out of place.. i typically wedge the gas cap to hold the plate down or use one hand and put the pump in. i've yet to think of it as inconvenient.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I thought you ( xpress) made that little arm to hold the plate down......:confused:

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And God said, LET THERE BE LIGHT!

Works well. Need to get some bolts to button it up properly, and to grind down the edges of the bracket so nobody sues me for cutting themselves...

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
CP = Candle Power. Does it have a shield to block rearward glare?

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Nothing irritates grumpy cops more than fancy added lights that screw up their night vision. At least that's what I've been told. :)

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Pfft.... Cops!..... Who need's 'em?!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts