Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lets see what you've got on your rig, post the specs.

Sylvania 55w headlights and a KC Daylighters Spotlight package. The headlights are just okay for city driving.

Soon everything will be fitted with HID's, HI/LOW lights in DDM tuning housings for the headlights and 55w in the spots.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pretty simple setup on my shoebox

All are 55w Hella 500's with Silverstar H3 bulbs. Silverstar stock headlights as well with a high beam override.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Xpress, before you upgrade your lights to HID, give these articles a read. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/HID.html

Mumble, was that the best way to show us your rock lights? :D

This is all the aftermarket lighting i have for the moment...

Flood beam tractor lights (for reverse) and Silverstar headlights.

Plans include a roof bar with side and rear lights and lights on the front bumper...

Attachments

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Hella 550's on the bumper and HF spots on the windshield, HID headlights and a mag light in the console.
You only need to see about 100 feet in front of you, actually less in a Jeep because you are going so slow usually. You just need to flood the area in front of you and some rock lights are handy too.
A go-fast Baja racer needs to see about 500 feet or more because they cover that distance in mere seconds.

Attachments

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Cool pic right here....

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
You didn't have to go to this much trouble just to show us your rock lights but thanks..... lol

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Xpress, before you upgrade your lights to HID, give these articles a read. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/HID.html
Little to no credible sources to back up the article writers statements. Sure, some bits he may be correct in, but I am not in the market for buying into what has been read on the internet. I am in the market for using equipment that has been tested in actuality.

Simple fact: HID lamps are MUCH brighter than halogen lamps, and require the proper setup to emit the best lighting. Improper setups flood light in areas where it doesn't need to be sent. Almost ALL of HID headlight users use the wrong bulb type, and that's a flood style bulb meant to be used in spotlights or flood lights, not headlights. Thus why the light is flooded away from the direction it needs to be sent, into oncoming drivers eyes. The headlights I am buying will have hi/low beams and will be used in housings designed for higher intensity lighting. Stock headlight lenses that use a single hi/low halogen bulb don't work well for flood HID bulbs. However lights that use a separate hi beam lamp do significantly better.

Also, regarding safety issues, I have yet to come across something worth mentioning about HID's being unsafe. I don't buy into overly expensive equipment, I buy into reasonably priced equipment with a MASSIVE backing- DDM Tuning lights have this.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
It just made me think because i put some of those conversion bulbs in my old nissan, and even after i readjusted the hot spot down and away from oncoming traffic, I was getting high beams flashed all the time.

The are so much brighter though, and i really wanted to get some adapter bulbs for my diesel.

I'm gonna have to check out the company you recommend... :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hid conversions

I have converted all my vehicles to HID. all work extreemly well. the kits are not that expensive (about 80- 120 ) depending on bulb configuation.
I read the article, however I noticed it was also written in 2002, HID kits have come a LOOONG way since then, I have had my HID kit in my Jetta for almost 5 years now and they are on all the time and have never lost a bulb yet, My suppliers kits are DOT approved, and are all "plug and play".
I only have HID's on my jeep and have LOTS of light. well worth the investment and you can see everything..
www.hidsource.com
check it out.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FWIW, just because something doesn't have a DOT label doesn't mean you can't use it. A DOT label means that the DOT Corporation has tested the product and found it to be compliant with their standards. Certain things in California need this label, but otherwise I haven't read much about headlights. Honestly, if your setup is done properly, nobody will care.

Just because a product hasn't been tested doesn't mean it's unsafe. Most states allow HID lighting as long as they are compliant, meaning they can't emit blue light. So anything from 3000-8000k is fine, but anything above that is just plain rude to other drivers. I know a couple of guys that have PURPLE as can be lights and they are extremely distracting and blinding. i'm surprised the police haven't pulled him over for it.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I've seen the purple hids.....How can you possibly see anything with those?

When i got mine i think they were either 3000k or 4500k....they're the color of silverstars, but a lot brighter.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
probably 4500k or so. Purple doesn't make sense. Most go after the look, but who cares when you can't even see it from being blinded?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Too bad I don't have pics of my HID's... I can see probably a good mile with them (and i'm not even kidding!!!). Was climbing one of my usual hangout spots with a couple of buddies when one of them piped up and said "DUDE LOOK IT'S LIGHTING UP THE MOUNTAIN!" which according to Google Earth is 4,600ft. away :eek: We could clearly see the rocks and shrubbery surrounding them.

And that's only a pair of 55w HID's in KC Daylighters. I think I am going to buy another set of Daylighter spotlights to mount on the windshield. Can NEVER have enough light :D

Will get pics ASAP.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I'm gonna be in the market soon for at least 4 more lights. How much are the HIDs you have Xpress? Would it be cheaper to just get reg lights and a conversion kit?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Converting a pair of 6" round Halogen bulbs to HID is the inexpensive route. Total cost for me is less than $200.

I am using DDM Tuning HID's. Go for the Raptor 55w kits:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Apexcone-Raptor-HID-Kit

5000k is white, get the correct bulb style, DON'T buy the high/low beam bulbs for spotlight or offroad light only applications.

You will need to mount the lights in a location where you can mount the ballasts in close proximity. If you extend the wires from the ballast to the bulb you will need to use a low resistance high voltage wire (it takes approximately 25,000 volts to ignite the HID bulb at around 6.5 amps for 55w bulbs- about 163 watts for startup). DON'T use speaker wire, or the stock KC Daylighter wire, like what I used- the ballast won't ignite the bulb :eek:

Shipping is a bitch for DDM Tuning but they deliver good products.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a set of KC HiLiGHTS with Driving beam, 55w. Bumper happened to have holes conveniently drilled in it (for what I assume would be for a tow bar), so they got mounted on the outer holes, and the wires ran through the inner holes. Took about 45 mins to put them in and get them wired up (including a partial disassembly of the dash to install the new rocker switch, and route the wires behind). Results are great, I aimed them with the low beams (well slightly lower to help in the fog) and they're impressive. Can easily see with low beams, and when flipping to high beams the entire road is lit up for quite a ways. Not hardly blinding at all, I am very satisfied.

This is my 55w Sylvania headlights, low beam. They work fine for driving on the street.

55w KC lights with low beams on the headlights.

Headlights, KC driving lights, and 55w HID spotlights on.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Added this reverse light earlier today:

Wired it into the reverse light circuit, LOT brighter than before.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Are you running the stock alternator?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes. And yes the voltage does drop if I have all the lights on. Soon to upgrade... Need an internal regulated alternator... Upgrading the wires too...

1 - 20 of 124 Posts