Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I get my Wrangler I will be leaving an FJ. I am thrilled that Jeep (Chrysler/Fiat) realized you CAN put a nice interior in a rugged off-roader and still maintain the functionality and purpose of the space. I am also happy with the upgraded engine. A greater increase is torque would have been outstanding, but the Pentestar is still a great improvement. The Wrangler has become equal to or greater than the FJ in every, mostly greater. I understand most aficionados would say it always has been and I will leave that alone and acknowledge the viewpoint. I am upset that I will have to wait a year to get mine after nearly pulling the trigger on a deal this week. I will spend the time determining EXACTLY what I want beyond a manual Unlimited and in what order I will add all the aftermarket goodies I will add. What disappoints me most is my 165 lb mastiff will not enjoy riding around with me topless this summer. I look forward to learning as much as I can about my future Jeep from those who have driven one for a long time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry that you've been mislead about your FJ. I purchased my FJ in 2006 as soon as they came out and have never had any problems to this day with it as the wranglers have. Actually I might be finally saying good bye to my very loved FJ Cruiser today. I have it up for sale only because it does not have a removable top or solid front axle. 2 years ago I purchased a completely stock Jeep Rubicon LJ and have since poured tons of cash and countless hours of labor into it, as I did the FJ. The Jeepis finally just catching up now in 2012 to my 2007 FJ comfort, dependability, and off road capabilities. I don't care what any of those aficionado's claim to know. Their all talk. I really hate to sell my FJ but I'm running out of space in my large garage and it is still in great looking and running condition that would put any comporable JK to shame on the trail. I've done it many times. But, since I have built my '05 "Black Booty" rubicon and my wife has seen all of the 4 door JK's at Jeep Beach, I will be starting a quest to build a 4 door "Booty" for her. What the JK has going for it is it's great looks to get you hooked and then the addiction begins. Like new axles that will stand up to the beatings of 38" tires and rocks and other tuff stuff that will break all of those even stock Rubicon gear.

·
Banned
37 Posts
One must realize that the Fj gets it's looks from the Jeep..most of them do anyway.. But originally the FJ was intended to pick up where the old FJ land cruiser left off.. and I just don't see it.. Everyone is going retro and I feel Toyota could have done better. It's Always good remember where your roots lye.. In a Jeep.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My two baby's together.

Man, I saw The Black Booty at Jeep Beach, I was a couple of Jeeps from you on the lineup. It is a great looking rig, my compliments.

Regarding the pissing contest between FJs, CJs, YJs, TJs, JKs, etc... I have owned both Toyos, Jeeps and even a Nissan, and the bottom line is that comparably equipped (meaning: lockers/no lockers, tire size, ground clearance) the main difference in off road capability is the driver. All of these vehicles, if they have 4wd, are very capable off road. You cannot compare a built up FJ with a stock JK Sport and vice versa, but when you compare the bare bone base stock model of each, the JK will win, mainly because the JK is the only one that comes with a 4wd transfer case as standard equipment, period.

Everything else (looks, ride, comfort) is a matter of opinion, and will vary from individual to individual. Other quantitative measures like resale value, quality, and safety need to also be considered, and other than resale value, the FJ wins there. Both have a very strong loyal following of like minded people, which is good for the hobby as a whole.

Personally, I love the fact that I can have 8 different driving experiences out of 1 vehicle from the multiple top and door off/on combinations on and off road. but the day that Toyota decides to bring back the FJ40, is the day that the real competition for the JK will begin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a 2008 JK rubicon, traded it for a 2010 FJ. Now in the process of trading the Fj in for a 2012 JK rubicon. Biggest complaint I had with the 08 rubicon was the engine and the lack of power, the FJ blows the 07-11 Jeeps away. The new 2012 engine seems to correct this. Now the Fj has a lot going for it, and in many ways is superior to the wrangler. Larger interior, rubberized interior, 3 wipers, great quality, easier access to rear seat, big field of view in front and side windows. Now what I miss about the jeep, well of course I just like Jeeps and the option of not having the top and also taking the doors off. Plus, I have an auto FJ, ordering the Rubicon in Manual as miss driving a manual. Now as for the argument between solid front axles and IFS? Well, I recently spent a year working in Cambodia, on a conservation project, and daily pretty much 4x4d on dirt and rocky roads over the year in a ford ranger with IFS and it handled great. My FJ is built twice as rugged as the Ford was, and there is no way I will ever wheel as hard in America as I did for the job in Cambodia. But, to have the extra capability is nice. One thing nice about the Jeeps also is the availability and affordability of after market parts compared to the FJ. But, I dont always get this envy war between FJs and Jeeps. Both great vehicles, and both very different.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You cannot compare a built up FJ with a stock JK Sport and vice versa, but when you compare the bare bone base stock model of each, the JK will win, mainly because the JK is the only one that comes with a 4wd transfer case as standard equipment, period.
the stock FJ doesn't come with a transfer case? how does the power get to all 4 wheels? :confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
My first FJ 40....

This led me to purchasing my Rubi. I was originally going to restore it but then figured it might take to long and I wanted creature comforts like AC, automatic and a little softer ride. I didn't want to wait the restoration time to start playing. Plus with the abundance of cheaper priced jeep parts it was a no brainer. I sold it for more than I paid and put that into my Booty build.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a 2008 JK rubicon, traded it for a 2010 FJ. Now in the process of trading the Fj in for a 2012 JK rubicon. Biggest complaint I had with the 08 rubicon was the engine and the lack of power, the FJ blows the 07-11 Jeeps away. The new 2012 engine seems to correct this. Now the Fj has a lot going for it, and in many ways is superior to the wrangler. Larger interior, rubberized interior, 3 wipers, great quality, easier access to rear seat, big field of view in front and side windows. Now what I miss about the jeep, well of course I just like Jeeps and the option of not having the top and also taking the doors off. Plus, I have an auto FJ, ordering the Rubicon in Manual as miss driving a manual. Now as for the argument between solid front axles and IFS? Well, I recently spent a year working in Cambodia, on a conservation project, and daily pretty much 4x4d on dirt and rocky roads over the year in a ford ranger with IFS and it handled great. My FJ is built twice as rugged as the Ford was, and there is no way I will ever wheel as hard in America as I did for the job in Cambodia. But, to have the extra capability is nice. One thing nice about the Jeeps also is the availability and affordability of after market parts compared to the FJ. But, I dont always get this envy war between FJs and Jeeps. Both great vehicles, and both very different.

3 wipers??? how exactly is that an advantage? Anyway.. I would have agreed with you on IFS until I saw this

·
Registered
5 Posts
Because with the 3 wipers, get more coverage cleared, middle part of window clearer than with two wipers. Plus, personally, I think the 3 wiper system looks cool.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not going to argue one way or another which of the many different 4x4s out there is better; there are some who say the Raptor is the best (hope you enjoy running the desert cause I simply don't know how they'd handle some of the other places I've seen). One thing almost none of the others offer is the top-off/doors-off open air experience of the Jeep Wrangler--all versions. It's also the only 4-door convertible I know of and the only one where you can replace that top for about $500 rather than the $2,000-3,000 of most other soft top convertibles.

For fun, I honestly don't think the Wrangler can be beat.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
No, the Wrangler can't be beat. There are more Jeep enthusiasts than any other type vehicle on the planet.
For a long time Corvette boasted it had the most enthusiasts, but only 1.4 million Corvettes have ever been made.
Just during WWII alone over 360,000 Jeeps were produced. I don't remember the exact number I read about how many Jeeps were produced since then, but suffice it to say it's a lot more, and Jeep owners DRIVE their vehicles on and off road, and use them for daily drivers. They aren't garage queens like most Vettes.
Don't get me wrong, I love Corvettes. I had one myself once. But they are worthless for anything other than a Sunday drive.
The Jeep is a time proven design that I don't think will ever be overtaken. Hummer couldn't do it.
There is no other vehicle that even compares to the Jeep. The solid front axle is the best setup for off roading and that has been proven over and over again. IFS just does not compare. IFS does have a smoother ride, but if I want a smooth ride I'll drive a Cadillac.
The FJ has a real problem with the front structure literally tears when you off road it. The IFS will not articulate even close to what a solid axle will do. The side view is blocked by a wall, and the body protrudes way too far past the wheels so it is vulnerable to damage. They're cute tho'. In an ugly kind of way.
The Wrangler is no beauty queen either. It looks like a brick with wheels. But it's design is such that if damage occurs, the body panels are easy to replace.
And as mentioned, where else in the automotive world will you find a vehicle that comes from the factory with removable doors. Or a four door with a removable top? Or a vehicle with so many millions of fanatics that love to work on them, modify them, personalize them, and then take them out and beat them up?
Nope, nothing compares to a Wrangler.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My old FJ40 is why I got my TJ. The toyota was way too hard to find affordable parts. Jeep parts are plentiful and affordable, plus there's a lot more Jeep gurus around here than FJ gurus, therefore a lot more technical support. I wouldn't trade my Jeep for anything else (except a newer one), but if I had the money to get another FJ40 (restored already) I wouldn't hesitate. As for the new FJ Cruisers, I would get one for the wife as her DD. I like the way they feel on the road, and I'd probably wheel it lightly too. I know how to drive, I could take one through a lot of our trails.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would own a Chevy volt before I would drive an fj, by the way sales are so bad that Toyota is going to stop production

1 - 20 of 30 Posts