Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Those Cadillac calipers are very prone to leaking, not the best choice. Also
For 37" tires a Dana 44 will need a bit of a light foot since the front U joints are the same as what lives in a stock TJ and the stub shafts aren't exactly the strongest either. Friend of mine ran a Dana 44 in the front and a Dana 60 HP in the rear in about 6 or so wheelin trip he blew about 4 axle shaft U joints and those where the expensive ones without the needles in them and also granated 3 chromemoly stub shafts. Granted that he ran a v8 in it but you compare the axle shafts in your Jeep to the shafts in the Dana 44 and they will look every bit as skimpy

Here is a set of 27 spline stock TJ axle shafts next to a set of Dana 44 shafts out of a Ford Dana 44

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
I just wanted to add that I ran a Dana 35 with 33's for years and beat the piss out of it and it never failed me. That said I would still never build a jeep with one. I like where you are going with this but if you are going to sink all the time, effort and money into an axle why not go for the best you can from day one?

·
Registered
979 Posts
While I appreciate the input.... I am new to THIS forum I am not new to forums or wheeling. I was a Mechanic a 4WP for over 4 years and have built many axles.

Also I don't remember asking if a D44 can withstand 37" tires.... A V8 and anything less then a D60 is asking for trouble in just about any situation regardless of tire size.

Yes I did not go into detail with how I am going to build these axles because I am more of a tell as I do it or build it kind of person, not what I dream of doing or read about what others are doing.

I have put a lot of research into the disc brake setup and have not read that the calipers are prone to leaking, if they do I'll return them and get new ones.

When the front axle is done I will have Chromos, ARB, 4:88s, Reid Racing knuckles, Artec Hi steer with a Ruff Stuff diff cover, Etc.

Just as a good example of a F150 5 lug D44 holding up to 37" tires here you go one of my best friends wheeled for years with his locked D44/9" and 37" tires before he competed in a full season of CalROCS and Nor Cal Rock Racing with only breaking his E locker.

Yes I sound like a dick here but again I was not asking your opinion on the strength of a Dana 44. I am running a D44/60 with 37" tires because I ran 35" tires on my XJ for many years with a built D44 read a a bone stock D30 and never had a single issue.

If I needed advise I would post up in the tech section.....
Aren't we just a tad sensitive :eek:

·
Registered
979 Posts
By the way here is an opinion of another guy that has had several rock buggies that played at the Hammers

I had a south american front 44 with ctms on 37s and broke one once. lots of sparks the 44 and the 30 share the same u joint size and axles size not much of a strength increase:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
It's your money spend it as you like.
In the mean time I will be happily wheelin at the Hammers with my Jeep or Buggy with Dana 60's :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Maybe I'll see you at Johnson valley sometime.

Really I am not sensitive, I just was looking to have a build thread and not have someone telling their opinion on a D44. It is my money and I bought a D44/60. If I wanted to hear BS about a D44 I would post on Pirate....

·
Registered
979 Posts
If it works for ya great, lots of other folks found out it didn't.
On the bright side you can always make a hybrid Dana 44 down the road and get the best of both.
By the way have fun building, I enjoy that about as much as wheelin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts