Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard you can use chevy axles under your jeep...i have a 2002 tjx and i wanna put some 1 ton chevy axles under it...what year would i need to b looking for to get the right chevy 1 tons???

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Ya can but it is not a slam dunk. First the Front diff is on the wrong side so you'll have to get a different transfer case. then cut all the spring perches off both front and rear add coil buckets and control arm mounts, figure steering geometry, new drivelines, rims and so on and so on. Plus the 14 bolt is a heavy SOB. I'd go Ford front 60 to get the diff on the right side, and probably rear also. I've helped on a couple and we have alwaysed narrowed them also, that means we had to buy some custom shafts.

Hopefully AW12345 and Chris will jump in here soon since they have done this.

Bottom line if your lookin for a slam dunk easy swap, buy Dynatrack. And that aint cheap

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Chris just did this, but he is off fishing for a few days. If we can get him to put his pole down for a bit, I'm sure he will chime in.

·
Registered
979 Posts
For an XJ, YJ, TJ or a ZJ, you would want a Ford Dana 60 for the front, since the Chevy one is A a low pinion axle and B the pumkin is on the wrong side.
Price wise there isn't much of a difference. For the rear any Dana 60 full floater or a full floater 14 bolt will do the trick. One of the things with some rear Dana 60's is that the hole in the spindle ins;t big enough for a 35 spline axle shaft.
Chevy 14 bolt is a cheap but very strong rear axle that takes tons of abuse.
For some info and how it all fits under there you can take a peek at my built thread

http://www.wranglerboard.com/f6/tinkertoy-234/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts