Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I own a '97 Jeep Wrangler TJ with a lift kit - and recently it has this weird problem. I'll be driving along and it will randomly start 'sputtering' (similar to the noise a Harley Davidson would make) and the RPM stays low.
As I said, this happens randomly, but I find that it has happened a lot while on the highway. Just recently, the Jeep was working fine and suddenly it dropped down and I found myself riding at 35-40 MPH in a 55 MPH zone. I downshifted and tried to bring the speed back up but it doesn't work.

While I am driving, it feels as if the gas isn't flowing through properly (hence, Harley noise)... I mean I had bad gas in it a week or two ago but I feel like I flushed that out and the problem persists. Can anyone help diagnose this issue, please?

Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I also had the same problem. I dropped the fuel tank and changed the two fuel filters on the fuel pump. There is a filter inside of the canester on the fuel pump. Make sure to change both. Hope this help you.

·
select member
134 Posts
Mine is doing something similar to this. Roy how hard of a job was the tank drop and filter install?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not too hard since i have 6 inches of lift on the jeep. Drop the fill hose and vent hose first. Remove the screws on the back of the pan only. The pan will hinge down in the back. Disconnect the electric lines to the fuel pump. Pull the tank out. Try to run all the fuel out of the tank first.

·
Jeep flyer
4,746 Posts
Not too hard since i have 6 inches of lift on the jeep. Drop the fill hose and vent hose first. Remove the screws on the back of the pan only. The pan will hinge down in the back. Disconnect the electric lines to the fuel pump. Pull the tank out. Try to run all the fuel out of the tank first.
Don't have to run the fuel out.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Watch the vacuum lines too. They're tricky to see and short. I know when I put my skid on, I had to make a trip to the parts store, because I busted one of the plastic hose barb fittings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts