Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went wheeling the other day and when I came home I parked the Jeep in the garage.
I went to start it again and when it started it made a grinding sound coming from the flywheel.
I thought it might be a bad starter, the bendix wasn't returning and the gear was grinding on the flywheel.
So I took the starter out and returned it to Autozone because it has a lifetime warranty. Got a new one, put it in.
Same noise. Pulled the starter, no grind marks on the bendix gear.
Held the starter in place and had someone start the Jeep. When it started I pulled the starter away from the bell housing.
The noise was still there and I could see sparks in the bell housing. Shut the engine off right away.
So what I'm thinking is, maybe a bolt that holds the clutch plate on fell off or is loose and rubbing?
Anybody wanna' guess? I know I have to pull the tranny but I'm curious what you all might think it is.
I'll report back when I pull it as to what it is.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
I just think it is a good time for a 4.3 swap. and guess what? you have one sitting out in the pasture.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not throwing money at this Jeep. I'm going to get a JK unlimited soon so engine swaps are not an option.
Pulling the trans is no big deal and free. Even if it's a broken clutch plate that's cheap.
I am going to wheel this Jeep as is until the fall then start looking for a JK. Not sure if I want a new one. Probably not.
Meanwhile, Chris is coming over soon to help me drop the trans. Thanks Chris. Blue Moon OK or something else?

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I actually had a friend that this happened to when we were out Jeepin for a weekend, he was already to head home after hearing this noise and thought his motor was shot but to me that didn't sound like a shot motor. We started looking all over the underside when it was running and I saw sparks also. It was a flywheel bolt that had come off . We just bent the inspection plate back just enough to get the bolt out and went back to Jeepin for the rest of the weekend, I hope he fixed it since then since it was like 5 years ago but it wouldn't surprise me if he hadn't.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pulled the bolts off the bottom of the plate and didn't see anything up in there. I wish it was that easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts