Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little confused on this, couldn't we sell them at auction and make a whole lot more money then paying to have them melted down and making rebar?

·
4,987 Posts
Better they melt them down instead of giving them to the Mexican drug cartels...oh, wait...they already tried that! :mad:

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They gave the mexican cartel way nicer guns then these. You know how many collectible guns must have been tossed away for stupid reasons.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That makes me f'n sick! Just becaues a firearm was used unlawfully doesn't mean the firearm is bad. F*** LASD, ourjudicial system and especially F*** all the handwringing libtards who claim the death penality as being cruel and unusual punishment! :mad: We need to change the laws, use a firearm in a hold up, 20 years automatic (no F'n if's ans or buts!) in federal prison, no plea bargining, no good behavior time off, F'n NOTHING! Now if someone is injured, 30 years same as above, if someone dies even though it might not have been you who pulled the trigger but your "friend, compadre, homey or what ever you want to call each other", death sentences for all involved. We go making laws like that, as our forefounders would have agreed with, crime in this country would drop like a rock. I'd even go so far as to go back 20 years and inforce these laws onto criminals who were convicted for any of the above scenarios. Yeah, I know you can't be tried twice.

But IF I were in charge (fat chance of that happening) I'd declare all laws restricting the ownership of firearms as UNCONSTITUTIONAL! To include concealed weapons permits. Why must we ask our governments permission to accept our RIGHT to keep and bear arms? It's asinine! As far as the Second Amendment to OUR United States Constitution goes, I am an Absolutionist. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am a little confused on this, couldn't we sell them at auction and make a whole lot more money then paying to have them melted down and making rebar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdJbRDSGSB8&feature=related
Whoa, you're using common sense and if you don't all ready know it, let me explain it to you. The people running our government for the most part know nothing and could care a less about any firearm ever manufactured. They believe that guns kill people, they see firearms as evil and those who own them as "sick". Am I getting through to you?

·
4,987 Posts
When you look at how many firearms are in the US and compare that number to autos, now compare auto related deaths to firearm related deaths, wonder how that number works out? I really don't know, just curious.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I do agree that much weaponry is pure junk and should be melted down. But what type of effort would be needed to call a local gunsmith and give him a few minutes to select the nice pieces out of the trash pile and set them aside for a later bid? How many fine antiques were melted just so Sheriff Baca could get him name in the newspaper?

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reselling for some reason does not equal recycling. Let's do some math here.

$500 Gun Worth at auction

-$25 Auctioneer cost to sell

$475 total profit for state

$500 Gun worth at auction

-$10 Melting service (Just a guess here but it is probably pretty cheap per gun)

$2 credit given by recycler for rebar made

-$47 cost state pays for same piece of rebar

-$55 total cost to get rid of said gun and get your name in the paper.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I do agree that much weaponry is pure junk and should be melted down. But what type of effort would be needed to call a local gunsmith and give him a few minutes to select the nice pieces out of the trash pile and set them aside for a later bid? How many fine antiques were melted just so Sheriff Baca could get him name in the newspaper?
One mans trash is another mans treasure. I bought an old Baker 16 gauge, the blueing was worn off, the stock scuffed, scratched and beat all to heck and I'll never shoot it, but it was what I wanted. It sits in my safe wrapped up in a sock and every once in a while I'll just take it out to look at it. I also bought a Colt Cobra that some fool was selling, it was full of hair line cracks and when I pointed these out to the guy he grabbed the pistol back and started to walk away. I offered him $100 bucks because I didn't want that gun to kill or injure someone. It too sits in the safe until I have the guts to cut it apart, but it will never leave this house. Guns might not mean anything to many but many of us collect them the way people collect coins or stamps or dolls. I believe what the LASD is doing is wrong but . . . I don't live in that rat hole.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Elections are coming up in LA. Lee Baca is a tool. He is the worst Sheriff they ever had. Pandering fool.

·
4,987 Posts
What makes you think the nice ones weren't already added to someones private collection?

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
Guns are a tool. Just like a shovel or an ax. Are people required to do away with all of their knives simply because people have used them to kill with?

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
What makes you think the nice ones weren't already added to someones private collection?
Trust me, I tried. My department also had these melt away programs after a few gun buy backs, and it was our policy to get rid of all of them, regardless of its collector's value.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Guns are a tool. Just like a shovel or an ax. Are people required to do away with all of their knives simply because people have used them to kill with?

In England, yes, they are doing just that.

·
HIGHWAY APPROVED MUSTANG
9,687 Posts
When you look at how many firearms are in the US and compare that number to autos, now compare auto related deaths to firearm related deaths, wonder how that number works out? I really don't know, just curious.
According to Statistics, Facts and Quotes there were [SIZE=-1]30,694 gun-related deaths in the US in 2005 vs Fatal Car Accident, Crash Statistics: Stats Auto, Traffic, Car, Collision, Traffic showing 43,443 vehicular fatalties that same year. So guns overall are about 71% as deadly as vehicles in the US.

I've thought for a while that the comparisons between guns and cars would make a good argument for sensible gun laws. Both can be safe when used responsibly but deadly when used carelessly or with criminal intent. As a society we accept the inherent danger of cars, I don't think I've ever seen anyone propose banning them because of the number of deaths they cause, but some eople who are rational about vehicles can get very emotional about guns being too dangerous for anyone to own. On the other hand, I also haven't seen anyone propose unregulated, unlicensed or unrestricted access to vehicles for anyone who wants to use them. We do try to control who can drive and enforce rules to follow to minimize their danger and force responsible operation. You need a license to operate a car and have to provide some identification to buy one and register your car before you can drive it. Gun owners accept those as reasonable controls of deadly machines but some become positively apoplectic about any rules for gun ownership and use.

Seems a middle ground for both guns and cars would give access to people who are responsible enough to use either safely while screening out some of those who really should no't be operating dangerous toys.
[/SIZE]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts