Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

I'll take one!!

4K views 35 replies 7 participants last post by  Xpress 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Xpress said:
The batteries are estimated to last around 3,230 hours on the track. That's almost 4.5 months on the track straight! :eek:
So about 4-5 years if maintained properly. How much to replace them.

Still sounds like a cool toy but this is the only reason I dislike electric vehicles. Horrible for the environment.

#6 ·
Lithium isn't all that bad... Infact... It's biodegradable once the voltage has been neutralized..

Cost for the battery?? Well I guess everything evens out since you don't have to:

-Spend $4+ on gas for every gallon (so lets assume $30 for a day at the track...)
-Buy oil for every oil change
-Spark plugs
-Filters
-Carb cleaner
-repacking exhaust

And the likes...

#8 ·
Silent as can be. No more heckling by US Forestry rangers. And no more angry neighbors when you tear up and down the street. Which brings up another point, can this be ridden on the road since it's not technically a traditional dirt bike???

#11 ·
If that is the case (since CA law applies only to gasoline driven motorcycles) then I'm going to lease one out and ride it to work. Especially with gas being $4.50+ around here all of a sudden. Probably cost me a measly $0.25 to recharge since my total commute is 22 miles.

#12 ·
Electric cars and motorcycles don't have to have lights and registration?
Legally even a bicycle is supposed to have a license in CA but they don't enforce it.
Can you quote the law about the "gas driven only" stuff?

#16 ·
So I did a little research. According to the California Vehicle Code this vehicle meets the requirements of a "motor vehicle". It also meets the definition of a motorcycle. As such, it must meet either the equipment and registration requirements of an off-highway motorcycle or an on highway motorcycle, including lighting provisions.

415. (a) A "motor vehicle" is a vehicle that is self-propelled.
(b) "Motor vehicle" does not include a self-propelled wheelchair, motorized tricycle, or motorized quadricycle, if operated by a person who, by reason of physical disability, is otherwise unable to move about as a pedestrian.
Yep, meets this one.
400. (a) A “motorcycle” is a motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.
(b) A motor vehicle that has four wheels in contact with the ground, two of which are a functional part of a sidecar, is a motorcycle if the vehicle otherwise comes within the definition of subdivision (a).
Yep, this one too.
406. (a) A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, and an automatic transmission and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.
(b) A "motorized bicycle" is also a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that meets all of the following requirements:
(1) Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts.
(2) Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on ground level.
(3) Is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than 20 miles per hour.
Nope, not a motorized bicycle or moped.

#17 ·
Start with registration ticket and vehicle impound. Then, to get it out of impound, it must be registered, which is almost impossible to do with an off highway vehicle. Especially if the vehicle is in car jail. There could also be lighting violations. It could possibly registered before driving on the highway (any road) but I think this would be tough.

#29 ·
That's just the ting, minimal work is required on these guys. Basically plug and play.

The other thing that would bother me would be the danger of fire or explosion. We have been given alerts about the batteries in electric and hybrid vehicles having a danger of this following a collision. Does that mean that after a good wipe out in the dirt that your scooter could go up in flames?
With lithium Ion batteries, there is minimal risk, they aren't flammable like nickel or lithium batteries.

Hybrids primarily use Nickel cell batteries, but the risk is the electrical lines that are 300+ volts.

#23 ·
The other thing that would bother me would be the danger of fire or explosion. We have been given alerts about the batteries in electric and hybrid vehicles having a danger of this following a collision. Does that mean that after a good wipe out in the dirt that your scooter could go up in flames?

#25 ·
Now all it needs is a solar panel so it will charge itself..........

I think it's pretty cool, but it's pricey.....

The DS video.....

#31 ·
Electromagnetic Fields? While a coil effect an be brung upon by a short in the power lines, I don't think there is much issues, since these bikes basically contain very minimal flammable items compared to a car, where you have seats, interior insulation, and the likes.

I think you're just over-reacting, plus there's no gasoline onboard (unlike a hybrid), so the flammability of the bike is actually really low.

#32 ·
Hahaha... You are funny! I'm "over-reacting"? To what? lol

EMF = Electro Motive Force or current as most people know it.

One of the oldest tricks to start a fire is with a flashlight battery and two wires. It's not the battery itself, it's the EMF. You can weld metal together with a car battery and a set of jumper cables. A 12 volt 14 amp battery can melt metal by using EMF. You've never heard of people using two Jeep batteries to do field welding?

Electromagnetic Fields... You a funny guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.