Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I purchased 2 new torque wrenches, to add to the 1 I already have. Reading about them, its not so much the brand name that counts, but the calibration of them.

Now tell me please if my idea to test the accuracy of them is correct. I put a bolt in my bench vice so it is horizontal, then a socket on the torque wrench that fits it. Then have the torque wrench so its handle is exactly level. Then use a known weight, on a rope, hang it from the handle and slide it out towards the handle end further and further, until the wrench clicks. Mark that with say a sharpie. Change the setting and repeat.do this at say 6 or so settings, and then measure each line. Knowing the weight and length, I should be able to calculate the trigger weight correct?
Please help me with my theory, and if flawedto correct it.
For example I have a weight of 80 pounds at exactly 6 inches from the center of the socket, that is 40 pounds of applied torque, correct. At 12 inches, its 80 pounds of torque, and so on. Is there any reason this should not work, and if not, why?

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
The theory sounds good...I have no idea if it would work though...

·
4,987 Posts
If i'm thinking correctly, which sometimes is an issue, I think you have 80 lbs of pressure if you just hand 80 lbs hanging off the socket alone. Any additional lenght adds leverage to the socket which would increase the amount of force applied to the socket, thus increasing torque. Thats the way I see it, which as I stated, could be somewhat flawded

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
One foot-pound would be one pound at the end of a one foot bar.

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
Why don't you just get them calibrated here and there.

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
Humm local for you Im not sure. I know my local sears can send them out for calibration.

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
Make sure to apply weight slowly and evenly just like you use it..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts