Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

I need new Wheels

12K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Umbra 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking into getting new wheels and tires, but I really don't know what sizes of rims or tires would look good on my 2012 Wrangler. I wanna lift it a couple of inches when funds permit. It is my daily car, so I want to be able to have the best of both off road and street. Post some pictures and rim and tire sizes so I can get an idea.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Wheels are a personal preference. As far as a daily driver/versatile off road tire that will give you a decent life, I would go with BFG All Terrains. They are very quiet and give good traction on and off road.
A lot of people run them, including me. My Jeep never sees the pavement except being towed behind the motorhome to someplace to wheel.
Without a lift, 33's will be all you can squeeze in there. With a lift you could go to 35's, but for a daily driver I wouldn't go any bigger.
I run a 33X12.50/16. I believe your wheels are a 17 or 18? Pay attention to the wheel offset so you don't rub.

#6 · (Edited)
Probably shouldn't offer an opinion here, I'm a stock kinda guy. (Yeah, I know I know)

BUT>>x2 on personal preference and the BFG A/.Ts
How much off roading do you intend to do? Interstates included in daily driving? Worried about gas mileage?
How much are you going to spend? Lifting it yourself? Lifting it soon? Mechanically inclined? Do you care if your speedo is accurate?
How tolerant are you of mud?:) Some wheels (and brakes and calipers) can be a real bear to get cleaned up after a little trip down a logging road...like the ones above.

One of the best parts about Wranglers are that they are versatile...your options are endless.

If you can give us a few more details about your plans, we could probably be more help.

#7 ·
It's my daily car and plan to go off road here and there. As for am I mechanically inclined, the answer is, yes and I will do it myself. I don’t mind getting the car dirty or having to clean it. I just need to know what size rims and tires can go on my Jeep. Gonna keep it stock for a bit due to funds but plan on getting rims and tires soon. Post some pictures so I can get an idea of what look I like.

#8 ·
i don't know much about JK rims. ive learned that 16 or 17 is the smallest size rim you can go, without caliper rub. on that note. A/Ts are your best bet for tires. there on road/offroad tires. 31" would be the biggest i would go without a lift, and it being a daily driver. how far do you drive it?

#9 ·
For the record, I have a 2007 JK and I purchased 15x8 wheels. You CAN in fact go smaller than 16s. What you need to worry about is your back spacing, not so much rim size, that's where it gets tricky. I got 3.75 back spacing and I have a friend who runs the same setup and has no rub. You can ask oh man whats his name on here Kawikaze? or something along those lines.. if i'm not mistaken he has a different back spacing. but You CAN go 15, ya don't have to but ya can.

#10 ·
So the brake calipers don't rub on a 15" wheel on a JK? I heard they did but I don't know for sure. I thought that is why they went to a 17" wheel because of the larger calipers.

#12 ·
I had a long reply to this thread typed out but got a phone call. When I got back to post I was logged out. But anyways, you want 3.75-4.5" backspacing on the JK to avoid rub. Steel 15" rims seem to have more issues than other sizes due to how steep of an angle they can stamp the steel wheels from the center where it mounts to the hub and the rim. Here is a list of rims that should work. I still question the Cragar Soft 8's because I've heard mixed reviews about them rubbing the brake calipers.
http://www.jk-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-33474.html

#18 ·
I'm in the same boat with regards to purchasing new treads and wheels...........i'm finding the 16" is your safest way to go.Its the tread that i'm finding hard to figure out.I've narrowed it down to MT,Pro Comp. I have BFG's now and they where awsume for they gave me almost 65,000 Km and that was the Mud Terrain. Since talking and getting info i've heard that the BFG has changed their rubber compound and its not as well liked?? Has anyone else heard this?

#19 ·
Haven't heard that...that would stink.

65,000 Km?..Doth I detect a Canuck or a Euro?

Could we get more guys to post up some pics with their ride and wheel/tire sizes and brands??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.