Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is always a good debate on other forums.

To you use chain and binders, or straps

Do you secure to the frame or axle

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I use chains and binders, secured to the frame and axle. I use three logging chains and four binders.

I do not trust straps. Not even the big ones. They rub and tear. They also stretch and loosen.

Here's a crappy pic. You can see the front chain that secures the frame to the trailer, and one side chain that goes from the trailer to the front axle. There is on eon the other side that goes from the rear axle to the frame. In the back are two binders that hold the frame down to the trailer.
My Jeep ain't going anywhere unless the trailer disconnects. It will still be on the trailer afterward tho'.

I've seen people use those cheapy Harbor Freight straps to hold buggys, Jeeps, and quads to a trailer. One panic stop away from a mess.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a chain and binder guy myself. To the a axles also. Been doin it this way since I was old enough to do it to my dads jeep and I don't think I'll be changing it anytime soon

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Actually last time I checked, using anything other than steel chains on all four corners constitutes a hefty citation from the CHP.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I dont have a Jeep, but when i haul things i use chains because thats what i have. I have used 2" straps before without problems.

My boss hauls tractors around fair time and all he uses are the same 2" straps. Never had one come loose...

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
I know in CA when I haul equipment I have a chain and binder on all four corners and one on each bucket so I would assume that would go for cars to but I am not 100%. But I know whne you rent a car dolly it is only a strap on a tire so who really knows.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I do remember in Commercial Enforcement school that any hydraulic bucket or appendage must be secured with a chain, just in case the hydraulics go haywire.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I know in CA when I haul equipment I have a chain and binder on all four corners and one on each bucket so I would assume that would go for cars to but I am not 100%. But I know whne you rent a car dolly it is only a strap on a tire so who really knows.
Ha My jeep tires are to big for the rental Dolly's singe tire strap so even if i go Uhaul I still have to chain and use binders... but now I have my own 16 foot flatbed that im building. just enough room for my rig and tools and camp gear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have a chain with hooks on each end for the front.. i built a receiver in the front of my bumper and keep a shackle in it.. i run the chain thru the shackle and hook the chain to the trailer then i back the jeep up to pull the chain tight.. then i do use a 2" ratchet strap for the back.. years ago i installed a 2nd TJ rear hook on the other side of the frame for an additional tow point and use them as points to hook my ratchet strap to.. i've been towing it for 8 years that way and it always works.. i did try a few times using the axles but my jeep sways too much..

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use a Blue Ox Base Plate and tow bar, slap the transfer case in neutral and off I go! Of course this is behind my Motorhome, but it will work just as well behind a pickup truck! I need to get pictures...

·
Registered
237 Posts
I either flat tow with a tow bar setup. Or when on a trailer i use Aircraft straps crossed side to side at all four corners. If the straps will work for the G's an aircraft pulls then i think they are fine on a jeep.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts