Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I determine what has been modified on a jeep I purchased a dealer? Lift, gears, etc... It is a 2010 sport unlimited on 17in rims with 35 inch tires.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
progfreak said:
How can I determine what has been modified on a jeep I purchased a dealer? Lift, gears, etc... It is a 2010 sport unlimited on 17in rims with 35 inch tires.
Go to jeep.com. look for the owners section. Enter your vin and an email address and they will send you your "build sheet".

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
progfreak said:
How about stuff the previous owner done to it?
That's what you have to compare to the build list. Obviously, you have a new bumper. And the wheels and tires arent stock. You might have a small lift on it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Go to jeep.com. look for the owners section. Enter your vin and an email address and they will send you your "build sheet".
Specifically, this build sheet will tell you the way the Jeep came from the factory. To find out if gears have been changed, if a lift has been installed, or other changes, you are going to have to crawl under and over it and find those things that different. As Seadog stated, wheels, tires and bumper are different. It may have a small budget boost lift which would be spring spacers. Judging by the height, I would not think that anything more than a budget boost was installed so you should still have stock springs. If it is an automatic, you may be able to figure out if the gears were changed by the way it drives. When you put an X on 35's with an automatic and don't change the gears, you will notice a lack of power on the freeway. You may not even be able to get into overdrive. If it is a manual, 6th gear will be just about useless.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a1992 2.5l 5 speed yj bought used. Its had a half dozen owners and not sure if gearing has been changed. What I do know is a 2 1/2 inch lift on 31s.
Sounds by the post, it may have a gear change as on the freeway 5th gear is useless. On any up hill in 5th it slows down even while trying to accelerate.
I didnt know if something was wrong or not. I'm lucky to cruise 65 mph in 4th.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not all build sheets are accurate.....I bought mine NEW from the dealer (naked) with 0 upgrades no power windows NOTHING.... I went to pick up my jeep it was the dealers fault that they put different tires to accommodate someone else's build but "temporarily" putting them on my car when I went to pick it up I had upgraded wheels they let me walk with......this was from the dealer so brand new and the build sheet wont match to begin with whom ever you get the jeep from, so I'd say look for major changes such as shocks, lifts or "pucks", dont look at cosmetic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.