Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just added some steps to my stock rubi rails with some help from Chris (I will try to get a separate thread for that). When I took the rails off to prep them for paint, I found that the rubi rails were full of rust. :eek: As a sunny SoCal guy, it was scary. I have not found any weak spots but I am sure they have lost some strength. I am going to put aftermarket rails on it eventually, but that is probably a couple of years away. For any of you that have dealt with rust before, is there something that I can pour through the rail interior to seal the rust. I have scraped and beat the flaking stuff off as best I could. I would just like to halt the rusting process.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

After doing some internet research and due to budget considerations, I picked up some Rustoleum Rust Reformer. I did not want to spend the money on something like POR 15 and this looks like it will at least stop the rusting process. I will post the results in the build thread that I am supposed to start :rolleyes:

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Is it a hollow tube? If it is, drill some 1/4" holes about 18 inches apart along the bottom. Put one at the very front and one at the very back. Spray up into the holes with a rust coating paint like Rustoleum so it covers the bar metal and just above the holes. If you have a can of WD40 that has the little red plastic hose on it, put the nozzle on the paint can and squirt up inside as best you can too.
Yes water will get in, but it is already. The holes will act as drains and allow dry air in.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I hate it when that happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts