Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MSNBC D-bag "uncomfortable" calling fallen military "heroes", on Memorial Day no less.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/28/chris-hayes-uncomfortable-soldiers-heroes_n_1550643.html?ref=daily-brief

he·ro

   /ˈhɪəroʊ/ Show Spelled[heer-oh] Show IPA
noun, plural he·roes; for 5 also he·ros. 1. a person of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.

I will be the first to agree that the term is thrown around way too much these days, however,
just so we are clear, a Hero is someone who distinguishes him/her self in a manner widely admired, usually by risking or actually sacrificing his/her life in the service of others.

I.E. A mother who saves a neighbors child from drowning, FDNY 9/11,

I would say that a person who died in the service of the People of the United States qualifies.

This same d-bag probably is comfortable calling his ex-con garbage man a "hero".

Geez.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Agree. People are too free to label others as "hero" when they usually mean famous or popular or whatever. They feel that being that sort of hero is a matter of luck, and they could be a hero too if they were lucky. When confronted with real heros - those who voluntarily put their lives on the line for others or for intangible ideals - they are reluctant to recognize them as heroes because the gap in character between themselves and the heroes is suddenly shown to be an insurmountable gap.

·
I'm not lost
790 Posts
I think the Biggest issue is people misplace they anger for what our Government does and places it on the head of the people in the Military. They are just doing what they are told to do by their employer, our Government. I may not support our Government but I ALWAYS Support our Solders!

Edit: I was just voicing my opinion of another situation I was reading about, and really had nothing to do with with exact topic, just hit the same nerve for me.

BUT after watching this program, all 3 of them are idiots.

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
I agree Doris. Like Vietnam, even if you don't agree with the war we are fighting those brave men and women are risking their their lives for the beliefs and rights of our nation and it's people. They truly are all heros. Even if the govt misuses them.

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
08, I read a lot about the details of that war, and the after math it had on so many who fought in it. Tragic is a kind way to word it. The reality is, the luckiest soldiers did not make it home. People should be very ashamed of their actions, those people did what they were told, and fought a nasty war. But instead of respect and hugs when returning, many got ignored, lost friends, or were yelled at, stoned, spit on, or worse.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
08, I read a lot about the details of that war, and the after math it had on so many who fought in it. Tragic is a kind way to word it. The reality is, the luckiest soldiers did not make it home. People should be very ashamed of their actions, those people did what they were told, and fought a nasty war. But instead of respect and hugs when returning, many got ignored, lost friends, or were yelled at, stoned, spit on, or worse.
I can vouch for that.

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Sorry men, I was unaware you both fought in that war. I have read many books on the History of wars, it is an interest of mine to read on the subject. Lost a great grandfather to WWI, and both grandfathers, and other relatives to WWII. Much respect to them, and the others who sacrificed for me, and us. Interesting to read about, yes. So glad I never witnessed it with my own eyes though. A sibling is a Military Physician, she has not yet been to a front, but she has seen the casualties of war, as she works in countries serving during war times.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I hate libs... They espouse this crap while being totally unable to defend themselves from the harm that such Heroes repel. I'd be willing to take this Lib out so he doesn't have to deal with his conscience...

·
Registered
280 Posts
As a veteran of Desert Storm, I would like to thank you gentlemen who served in Vietnam. And in case no one has said this, Welcome Home. And to all of you who have served in our current conflicts, Thank You. For those who have loved ones in harms way, I pray that they come home safely.

We thank all our Hero's. They fight so knuckleheads can have the freedom of speech to put their heads in their ....... (you pick a place).....

Steve

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
^ well said. And thank you.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Appreciation for Vietnam era vets is waaaay overdue.

Thank you gentlemen.

My dad was active Air Force from Jan '68 (Pueblo) until 72. He never had to leave US soil, and was one happy mufu.
My uncle was an Air Force photog on spyplanes based out of Japan 70-74. He was one happy mufu as well.

Many of my contemporaries served in Desert Storm, Beruit, El Salvador, Panama, Korea, Germany and a lot of other hot and cold conflicts throughout the eighties and nineties, and very few were actually recognized for their sacrifices.

I thank you guys and them, heroes all to one degree or another, and I ain't "uncomfortable" saying it.

·
43 Posts
I went to Vietnam....... and so what.. It was the most beautiful place I ever encountered on this earth for the most part. It was exotic, it was with toys one will never see on the outside (civilian life). I was a doorgunner on a Slick and many times was in what could be considered 'harms way'. We just did it, we didn't think otherwise. We might not of liked it at first, but we became accustomed to it. It wasn't all bad, in fact it was some of the most exciting times in my entire life. I had over 300 days in the air behind a '60'. I saw death, but I saw 'Extreme' Living too. I saw worthless 'REMPS with 'medals' they got simply for knowing the right people, and I saw Hero's who were willing to give 'all' walk away with nothing but their hides. I saw racial hatred, and Brotherhood. I lived 'Colonial Vietnam' from a 30's & 40's setting in the 60's. Incredible time lapse. The smells, the ambiance of a different culture, the friendships from a people who were subject to the worst evil from both sides. Some escaped their everyday by smoking heroin, it was cheap and effective, but it was addictive as we all know. They escaped, some into oblivion, others medi-vaced home to the states to try to save them. Others Smoked weed which was plentiful and cheap. Being on guard duty, or doing a job that required responsibility was contrary to getting stoned, and many of us took our jobs seriously. You didn't stay alive being stupid or sloppy, you stayed alive by wit or skill, but a lot of times by luck. Did I expect to be treated special when I came home? And the ride on the 'Freedom Bird' was the zenith of the experience, believe me. No I didn't expect parades or cheering lines of people. There was a choice, as always, serve your country, writing a blank check, including up to, and including your life. Not many had the courage to do that, and many more dodged the responsibility and cost of freedom and liberation of the oppressed. They were the same individuals that used the system, contributed nothing, and griped the loudest, but had their hands fully open to receive from the labors of those who did contribute. Am I bitter.......... No... Do I believe those who didn't serve are somehow 'lesser' ? In ways I do. Am I proud to be a Vet..? Of course I am, and America means something more to me I believe, than to those who have no real investment in the cost of freedom. What does it all mean? That others have possibly wasted the one chance they ever had to be a patriot, to show their bravery. And some even, to overcome fear and cowardice. Everybody feels fear sometime in their life. You can either face it or slink away and hide..... either way you must face and live the consequence of life's choices. Do I want my children to be canon fodder........ what do you think? But freedom is not free, and those unwilling to defend it deserve none of its benefits. But the rain falls on the just and unjust all the same.

It's funny how the most decorated, often-times sat behind desks. (REMF's) rear eschalon mother f..ers..... Am I bitter? Not even, their decorations are worthless, and only they know it when they display them, they know the truth behind them, that they never Earned them...... and that's good enough for me...

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Glad you enjoyed yourself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.