Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of putting a 4inch RC lift with boom shackles and I cant get the top shackle bolt out on the drivers. It won't clear the gas tank. Any tricks to get it out without dropping the tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I am in the process of putting a 4inch RC lift with boom shackles and I cant get the top shackle bolt out on the drivers. It won't clear the gas tank. Any tricks to get it out without dropping the tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Get it out as far as you can and cut it. Buy a new bolt and put the nut side closest to the tank and call it a day

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
What he said^ That is the easiest way. Either that or get it out by the tank and flex the bushing back to where the bolt kinda wedges itself between the skid and the tank and it should pop out, mine did. On my new one I put the nut on the inside and don't have the problem anymore.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I used a sawzall.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Just use a sawzall. The bolt is cheap. They have them in grade 8 at Lowes. Get a locknut while you are there.
Put grease on the bolts before you slide them back in.

·
Jeep Wench
6,710 Posts
Kelowna said:
Using a cutting torch, just cut a small hole in the gas tank. Just run the gas down to an 1/8 tank only left first so too much doesn't leak out. The hole will let the bolt slide out. But no need to actually worry about that now, as the explosion made the bolt an insignificant issue.
I need a :facepalm: right here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just bought a seawall. Im guessing this is gonna take a while. No the shield wasn't on when i tried my cutoff wheel. Im not stupid enough to cut a hole in the tank then use a torch.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I just bought a seawall. Im guessing this is gonna take a while. No the shield wasn't on when i tried my cutoff wheel. Im not stupid enough to cut a hole in the tank then use a torch.

The seawall should keep you dry while you use a sawzall on it.
When you use a metal cutting blade it will take thirty seconds to go through the bolt.
The sawzall will come in rally handy for cutting other stuff off the Jeep like the track bar mounts, etc...
I turned the autocorrect off on my phone the day I bought it.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Seawalls are nice, I used to like to walk the one in Stanley park when I lived in Vancouver.
You have no idea how happy we are for you Craig.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.