Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't have a soft top and would really like one, I have a hard top but I can't decide if I wanna do a partial trade/sale advice please

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
I suggest keep the hard top. You will probably want it later on. I picked up a used soft top complete with frame for a hundred bucks on CL.

·
43 Posts
You will find a soft top cool during the 'good' weather of course, and not so good in inclement weather. Unless your funding your soft top by selling your hard top, it's better to keep it. It's paid for, it can just set. I have a half top, a full top and tonneau cover, with the rear behind the seat divider with the big clear plastic window. also the half doors with tinted plastic windows w/zippers. I like my set-up, but would swap in a flash. I think you will share the same view with time. My full top appears new-ish but my frame has a problem on the bottom mounts. It could be reworked, but a new frame is about $ 150-250, so I'll probably spring for one maybe next month......... or watch Craigslist for one.

If your really determined to swap or sell it, it's better if the crew here knew what city you were in...'in case I missed it' Location, location..... location, as they say.

A new top is in the 6-8 hundred $ range though,some even higher, you get what you pay for and only one seems to be top rated. The name escapes me, but it's 'something-top, something something' but 'top's in the name'..... Best-top's? maybe.....

·
43 Posts
Soft tops are leaky.....period, no getting around it. Now their not bad, your not going to get too wet, just a drip here and there, mostly where the tops of the doors meet. You'll get a slight wet shoulder and hip. again not bad. I did a hundred miles in rain with my setup and it wasn't bad, but this 'is' August so the rain wasn't too cold. Occasionally you will hear a loud 'pop' from the wind whip. It will be disconserting enough to make you think something fell off of your Jeep, and maybe even enough to make you stop to check. I have stopped a couple times, only to find nothing amiss. And then there's security....... Soft tops are inherently easy prey for thieves with as little as a knife... Sure the ambiance of a soft top is great when out wheeling, and likely superior in tight situations and clearance, but really.......shouldn't be much difference dimensionally really, they are about the same size. Noise is a factor, make no mistake. Soft tops are noisy and flappy in the wind at speed. If I had only one choice....... it would wind down to picking a hard top. But most of us come across a deal at one point or another and score both.

·
Hey, y'all watch this!
5,113 Posts
Soft tops are leaky.....period, no getting around it. Now their not bad, your not going to get too wet, just a drip here and there, mostly where the tops of the doors meet. You'll get a slight wet shoulder and hip. again not bad. I did a hundred miles in rain with my setup and it wasn't bad, but this 'is' August so the rain wasn't too cold. Occasionally you will hear a loud 'pop' from the wind whip. It will be disconserting enough to make you think something fell off of your Jeep, and maybe even enough to make you stop to check. I have stopped a couple times, only to find nothing amiss. And then there's security....... Soft tops are inherently easy prey for thieves with as little as a knife... Sure the ambiance of a soft top is great when out wheeling, and likely superior in tight situations and clearance, but really.......shouldn't be much difference dimensionally really, they are about the same size. Noise is a factor, make no mistake. Soft tops are noisy and flappy in the wind at speed. If I had only one choice....... it would wind down to picking a hard top. But most of us come across a deal at one point or another and score both.
My soft top doesn't leak!

But this one that I use all summer does!

·
79 Posts
Depends on where you live and how old you are. Tend to become more of a ***** as you get older, Dont want to deal with leaking roofs, cold weather, what ever. I myself got used to the hard top and rarely put my softtop on. Get you a bikini top , and hang on to the hard top.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mohozoo said:
Depends on where you live and how old you are. Tend to become more of a ***** as you get older, Dont want to deal with leaking roofs, cold weather, what ever. I myself got used to the hard top and rarely put my softtop on. Get you a bikini top , and hang on to the hard top.
I already have a bikini top, love that thing. But I need one because my daughter loves riding in my jeep, but when it rains and I leave to go somewhere the kiddo can't come ya know. And I'm for damn sure not Rollin a hard top all summer I don't have A/C :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought my YJ with a hard top it was one of the requirements I had. This was just because all my friends that own wranglers have all said either they want a hard top or wish they would never sold there's.

I plan to buy a soft top down the road right now I just run a bikini top and slide the hard top back on in bad weather.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah keep the hard top you won't regret keeping it but if you sell it you will prob regret it down the road especially with prices like that for them out there! Here in PA you can get a good hard top for a YJ for less than 300 usually. I got mine for $150 and it even has the straight up sides like the oem soft top half doors have so I can keep my softtop half doors on all the time and swap the hard/soft tops...
I also have the bikini top and use that most of the time when the hard top is off but I do have a full soft top and even a cab with touneal cover (which I can't use because I have a tool box mounted where the back seat would be and it sits above the side walls of the jeep bed) but I do use the pickup style (cab) top that comes right down behind the front seats.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts