Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy all...just kinda killed me d30

now im running 4.11 gearing , chrome-molly axles......how can i beef up spider gear plus plus ring and pinion gear...or go locker or go what ever other things you guys run,,,,,jeeps a 97 running 33s powered by 318 v8..

cheers...;)

·
Registered
979 Posts
whats ya thoughts on the ox lockers.....

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16100_4502.htm
They work, I would prefer the later style ARB, no fudging with cables and adjustment. Or if you trailer it more than you drive it on the street go detroit. Buddy of mine had front and rear ox lockers in his CJ liked them really well, then did the whole one ton swapperoo and stuck ARB's in it and says he likes those a whole lot better than the OX lockers. So much easier to switch on and off

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I have an Aussie Locker in my D30 and it works really well. $250.
I am going to put an E-locker in my 8.8 rear diff. I don't want to add on board air or hoses for an ARB.
ARBs are really nice tho'.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Is a copy of the old style ARB locker, not a bad locker for the rear, doesn't work well in a Dana 30 though another 100 bucks and you have the newer style ARB that doesn't come apart in a Dana 30. The old style is notorious for breaking the small bolts that hold it together, in Dana 30 axles due to flexing of the axle housing. Actually same thing happens with Detroit lockers in a Dana 30 when it gets used hard with 35" tires

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
I run front and rear detroits and daily drive my Jeep, it's not bad at all.. You don't NEED selectable to run on the road

·
Registered
979 Posts
I run front and rear detroits and daily drive my Jeep, it's not bad at all.. You don't NEED selectable to run on the road
It's not about need, I am sure if you try hard enough you can learn to life with it, but the big question is why? there are lockers available with better road manners. On top of that Dana 30 Detroit locker will snap the same little bolts as the old style ARB locker when used hard.

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
Cost would be a big part of that picture.. You're looking at spending ~500 more for an ARB and the air system to run it.. Not to mention in the front a detroit is invisible unless you're in 4wd, which you wouldn't be on dry pavement

·
Registered
979 Posts
My Jeep had originally detroits front and rear didn't care for them and was glad to see them go. Others swear by a detroit, it's all a matter of opinion and what works for ya. For you with the YJ D30 and the axle disconnect the Detroit would be a lot less noticable than it would be in a TJ. As far as cost go a Ausie lunch box locker or the Yukon variety isn't all bad either and a heck of a lot cheaper

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
I ran an Aussie in my last two jeeps and loved them for what they were. Never noticed them in the least when not in 4wd and they worked great while in 4wd.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
500 hundie for arb ..sign me on.....i wont get one down here for under 1500...that's why I'm liking the ox locker.....wheres the best place to buy jeep parts on line..........had a look on eday but gotta be cheaper out there..
this is eating up my new tire money....:D

thanks people...;)

ps ..gotta be selectable just thats what i prefer....:)

·
Registered
979 Posts
500 hundie for arb ..sign me on.....i wont get one down here for under 1500...that's why I'm liking the ox locker.....wheres the best place to buy jeep parts on line..........had a look on eday but gotta be cheaper out there..

thanks people...;)

Ebay and Pirate4x4. Shipping to your way down under might get a tad pricey though. From what I remember the Ox is about the same in price as an ARB sans the air source. Most anybody has onboard air. a via air with as ARB pressure switch or a regulator does ARB's just fine and does well for your tires.
One of my Jeeps has the ARB's running of a via air, the other runs them of a York compressor. With air tanks in the system your compressor will maybe cycle twice in a day of wheelin

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah on the shipping...brought a starter on ebay a couple of weeks ago..$76 for starter $51 in shipping....:eek::D

·
Registered
979 Posts
yeah on the shipping...brought a starter on ebay a couple of weeks ago..$76 for starter $51 in shipping....:eek::D
By the way have you thought about using a HP30 axle housing out of a XJ?
Don't know if the Junkyards over there have any of those critters there.
But one of those has somewhat stronger gears, bolts right in your Jeep, your axle shafts, brakes and all that good stuff fits. Built a nice truss for it to keep the axle from bending and the diff housing from opening up under heavy load and it should hold up much better. Just a thought since you have to do gears anyway.
Kinda something like this

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah that looks good and beefy......dont like me chances on the hp d30....what year xj ???

cheers

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
aw12345 said:
My Jeep had originally detroits front and rear didn't care for them and was glad to see them go. Others swear by a detroit, it's all a matter of opinion and what works for ya. For you with the YJ D30 and the axle disconnect the Detroit would be a lot less noticable than it would be in a TJ. As far as cost go a Ausie lunch box locker or the Yukon variety isn't all bad either and a heck of a lot cheaper
I don't have a d30, and have purposely driven in 2wd with my hubs locked, you don't notice it at all

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
tj27 said:

thanks people...;)

Not for 500, $500 more than the cost of a detroit

1 - 20 of 104 Posts