Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a good head shop in the El Cajon area? I've got a toyota 22RE 4 cylinder head that is in need of some serious love (rebuilding) and I'd like to get it done for less than $340. We got my dads head redone at a local shop in Lakeside for that price, and I think that's a bit much considering it was a pressure test and valve replacement. Not even resurfacing!

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to stop spending your time on Cragislist, and give out good recommendations.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I would never put a head back on without resurfacing it first.
Call around. There is a shop here that will do the valves and seats and resurface for $250 on a six.
I'm sure there are a ton of machine shops in El Cajon or Lemon Grove area.

·
King Thread De-Railer
2,801 Posts
You need to stop spending your time on Cragislist, and give out good recommendations.
you sir need to stop hiding in your cave and post more cuz this place is getting pretty boring.

Call around. There is a shop here that will do the valves and seats and resurface for $250 on a six.
i wouldn't ether. thats like changing the oil in your car and putting the old filter back on. around here vavles and seats resurface if you know somebody is around 250ish. you don't its about 450.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We had no reason to believe it was bent, we checked for straightness the exact way AllData told us to. Here we are 25,000 miles later and the thing runs like new (aside from a small intake leak). :cool:

Although this head I'm not sure about. I'm beginning to think that the cooling system got plugged up (some of the cooling holes in the head gasket were plugged) and caused the truck to overheat, which could have caused the head to warp enough to allow water to get pushed into the cylinders. Temperature gauge reads WAY too low for running temp.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Going to call around today, but seeing as how it's so early we won't get many answers :laugh:

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We wound up finding a place in lakeside that quoted us about $170 to resurface, pressure test, and even replace bad valves, as well as a thorough cleaning.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Very cool. Be sure and post the name/address if they do a good job on it. That's a good price.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely... Will see after it's all back together and running...

They called us and let us know that all of the valves are leaking. Fortunately we have a set of valve seals lying around here... Somewhere.. Otherwise he would have to sell us some of his valve seals and mark the price up for them (because you know, he's got to make some form of profit off of them..). The head is likely going to need to be resurfaced, but he's still quoting us about $170.

·
Registered
76 Posts
"Good head shops in El Cajon area?" Maybe I'm showing my age but I busted out laughing when I read the title. Especially since I spent some quality time in ElCajon with a bunch of potheads.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
"Good head shops in El Cajon area?" Maybe I'm showing my age but I busted out laughing when I read the title. Especially since I spent some quality time in ElCajon with a bunch of potheads.

I laughed a little too.. :D

Another common suggestion is to ask who the local performance engine builders use...

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bump. We have the engine back together. Sounds like it has either a bad mis-fire at low RPM or a vacuum leak. Either way, it still won't rev over 1/4 throttle :(

Yes it's perfectly timed as well, right at 5*. Valves are making a bit of a clicking though, so definitely need to do some adjusting...

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pretty sure, otherwise the timing mark would be showing up on the bottom of the engine. Timing marks all line up though.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
If the valves are clicking then they are not opening all the way. Tighten the rockers but check the gap to make sure you have the right clearance.
Did you put the plug wires back on in the right order? It will run on two cylinders so you may have two reversed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts