Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When im gearin down from 3rd to 2nd it grinds but goes in and sometimes itl do it goun to reverse when i first start it

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Clutch? Synchronizers? More detail would help.
Does the clutch feel mushy for lack of a better word? How far up does it start to engage? How far down does it start to disengage?
Does it grind every time?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clutch engages as soon as you push it down and i push it to the floor everytime but if im below 20 mph it will not do it and the clutch doesn't feel mushy at all feels almost like a new one

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Sounds like you may have bad synchros in the trans.
Is this a new to you Jeep or has this problem just started?

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
If you know how to work on transmissions it's not that hard.
What year is your Jeep?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1995 yj its got some milea on it but alot of parts have been replaced and i read on here it said if you take care of em they will last

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Nah. Beat the hell out of it so you can work on it. It's a labor of love.

You have the AX-15 transmission. Good trans. I can't believe you broke it already. lol
If you call around and get some estimates on having it fixed it will give you an idea of what is involved and how much.
I personally wouldn't dig into mine. Maybe. But I've been inside transfer cases many times.
Just depends on your experience and what tools you have.
Where are you located?

·
Premium Member
14,500 Posts
Nah. Beat the hell out of it so you can work on it. It's a labor of love.

You have the AX-15 transmission. Good trans. I can't believe you broke it already. lol
If you call around and get some estimates on having it fixed it will give you an idea of what is involved and how much.
I personally wouldn't dig into mine. Maybe. But I've been inside transfer cases many times.
Just depends on your experience and what tools you have.
Where are you located?

If he has a 4 cylinder he could possbly have an AX5, fairly weak trans, just replaced the one in Tina's YJ.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Good point. I just assume nobody would buy a 4 cylinder Jeep. lol

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts