Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gas gauge reads full the whole time, I herd of a ground wire problem, and made sure it was grounded good, but that's not the problem. I don't know where to go from here.. Please help!!

·
Registered
979 Posts
What kind of Jeep do you have? newer vehicles use gauges that go to full or past that when either the sender wire comes off or breaks, or the sender fails.
The older bimetallic gauges work opposite. On those gauges you would have a short to ground

·
Registered
979 Posts
How electronically challenged are you? I am asking since I would pull the panel with the gauges out, comes out easy then look at the printed circuit board, from there you trace the circuit boar to see which pin on the back of the board is the fuel gauge sender pin, ground that one and see if the gauge goes to empty. Most likely it will then follow that trace to where the wiring connector plugs into the circuit board, backprobe the connector and connect that to ground, if the gauge stays on full you got a dirty connection there. I fixed one like that by simply cutting that wire and extending it and hooking it directly to the the sender pin of the gauge. If it goes to empty then you move to the tank and see if you can get at the sender wire there. Or you ca try grounding the tank to the frame. The sender wiring at the tank is probably the most challenging to get at and would most likely mean you have to drop the tank

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's not to bad. Cause the jeep I have is kinda being restored, the back of te frame was rusted so I had to cut it out and remake the frame, and that included dropping the gas tank out and the ground wire was not connected to anything, I fixed it and wired it to the frame and still nothing. So I didnt know how to proceed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha yeah, I took the gauge out and followed the circuit board and used a pencil eraser to clean it, worked like a charm

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd like to have digtial gas gauge on my TJ. So I could see actual gallons in the tank, but I'd like that on all my vehicles :D.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I'd like to have digtial gas gauge on my TJ. So I could see actual gallons in the tank, but I'd like that on all my vehicles :D.
That would be difficult to do since the gas is moving around all the time. there are computers that you can mount to give you that information like the ones used in aircraft. The closest you can get to what you want is more a percentage of fuel left in the tank after filling to 100%. That is basically what your vehicle already has. Some of the newer cars do it digitally, but most still use the analog gauge.

Here is a nice digital gauge setup....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Autometer-G...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae707ac88&vxp=mtr

1 - 13 of 13 Posts