Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry that should have been GAS SMELL

Have a 08 jk. Recently it has been randomly smelling like gas. This happens when I park it in my garage. I come out in the morning and find the smell.

Any ideas?!?

I havent had the top on over night so I don't know if it. Coming inside the cabin or not.

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
My 04 grand cherokee does the same thing. I haven't found anything amiss so I'm curious as to what you find

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts

Have a 08 jk. Recently it has been randomly smelling like gas. This happens when I park it in my garage. I come out in the morning and find the smell.

Any ideas?!?

I havent had the top on over night so I don't know if it. Coming inside the cabin or not.
At least you didn't title it "Ass Smell"! lol

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
It is possible you have a minor vent leak at the top of your gas tank. I finally had to drop my tank and found one of the vent hoses had become detached from the gas tank, causing a very minor leak, which puddled gas on top of the gas tank.

·
Jeeper
217 Posts

Any ideas?!?

Mine's a 2008 JK as well and I get ALL scheduled maintenance done by the dealer. I am very overly protective of my Jeep. Use full synthetic oil and get it checked every other month.

I get this gas smell when idling and had the dealer check it twice but found nothing wrong with it. My guess was the Superchip performance tune that I have installed, combined with K&N Air Charger and dual exhausts, was giving a "rich mixture".

However, after reading about the same issue on several other JKs, I now think it's JK thing or a Jeep thing in general.

My advice would be to get it checked anyway, just for your peace of mind. That's what I did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts