Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I might ask some things, most of you probably already know. I am not new to earth, just new to using the internet in a social manner. I did open a Twitter account a few months back, but actual forums are a new thing to me. That being said I joined several in the past few days. This is the most active forum, and where most of my time will be spent it appears. So here, and in all forums, what are basic rules to follow? Is it acceptable to ask people some about themselves, where they live, their Jeep, boat or what have you.
What is considered okay, and just constitutes a nice conversation vs. Crossing some invisible line into asking, or sharing too much. I am somewhat open, in that I list my city in the location box here, and am okay with being asked any general question. Maybe some are not. As I notice very few even list where they live. Is this a safety concern? Should I not list where I live, or ask others.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
In the open forum, please keep your posts relevant (or somewhat close, General Discussion is a little more free) and family friendly (no cursing or personal attacks). Keep tech discussion in the appropriate tech area, and other discussions where they should be.

How much of your own personal info you want to share is entirely up to you. If you'd like to know something about, or have a question for, a specific member, please use private messages.

Past that, we're easy to get along with. We're glad you're here and want to contribute. :)

Any questions can be directed to myself, Austin, Havasu, Mumblewood or Chris.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Umm or me!

Yeah I agree to everything Otahyoni, said. Basically, just be polite and dont take offence to what others may say, its hard to show emotion typing, so jokes and sarcasm dont come across the way they were intended.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Sorry! I keep forgetting you're a mod now mumble.... :D

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Well there's some general things that are universal to every forum, like Otahyoni stated:

-Keep things on topic, and keep topics in their appropriate locations.
-Try to be as polite an courteous as possible.
-SEARCH before posting out of the blue, your question may have been answered one or several times.
-Don't give out too much personal info. Normally a first name is acceptable, and so is an email, and usually a picture of yourself but that's about it. Don't post any other personal information.
-Lastly, please watch the following presentation, it will outline everything you should need to know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9q2jNjOPdk

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
I made it 47 seconds into it.

As for me I don't mind if people come in and ask a question that has been cover a million times because that is why we are here. To help out with this hobby. Some may not know how to search and really when you do search have the time you have to sort thru 50 threads that contain the words you searched for before you find what you need so in that case what does it really hurt to ask again, heck maybe we will get some new insight on things. We all started somewhere with our jeeps and all started out not knowing anything.

As for the personal stuff that is entirely up to you. I don't hide much myself and with a few simple searches you could know more about me then I do.

·
Premium Member
14,500 Posts
I made it 47 seconds into it.

As for me I don't mind if people come in and ask a question that has been cover a million times because that is why we are here. To help out with this hobby. Some may not know how to search and really when you do search have the time you have to sort thru 50 threads that contain the words you searched for before you find what you need so in that case what does it really hurt to ask again, heck maybe we will get some new insight on things. We all started somewhere with our jeeps and all started out not knowing anything.

As for the personal stuff that is entirely up to you. I don't hide much myself and with a few simple searches you could know more about me then I do.

X2. Telling people to use the search especially newbies is a good way to possibly drive new members away.

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice input, and agreed on the search function, it seems to have many results, most of which do not really answer the question. Or else the results are older, and updated input is very nice. As for the personal stuff, I mostly think its nice to know where a user is from, even just Country, and Province/state. Age to if even by just decade, say for me, in my 5th decade on this rock.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
X2. Telling people to use the search especially newbies is a good way to possibly drive new members away.
What he said... It doesn't take any more effort to answer the question as it does to complain.

As long as there isn't a nearly identical thread right under the one you just posted, ignore the "use the search" guys...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Ask anything you want. Forums are to answer questions and gather info on your hobby.

People that complain about questions don't have to read them or answer them.

That being said, there is at least one jeep forum with members that take great pleasure in attacking and criticizing folks new to the hobby.
For some reason they think that because they seem to know a bit about wranglers (which are really very simple vehicles compared to most), it makes them some sort of demi-god.

Don't sweat that here, if someone mouths off to you or is rude and critical about your questions, or the fact that you are new, report the post and watch the fireworks.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
None of you guys know WHAT the hell you are talking about. Go away you bunch of newbs.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
My jeep is so difficult to drive I dare someone to try and steal it. They will likely give up and walk away.

I'd like to see someone try to start my truck cold... :D

They'll probably run the batteries down first...

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Mine is a little different though... :p

I have manual glow plugs, and an IDI wont light without the glow plugs...

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Mine is just crazy high mileage and loose everything. She still is very reliable. I drive her a couple hundred miles a day when I work and just took her to Nevada last week.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.