Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 95 wrangler I want to swap the 2.5 to the ford 302 but will the stock transfer case work with the ford transmission

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The correct answer to Kelownas question is no. The front axle will be perfectly fine, the D35 and AX5 need to go. As for the OP's question, I believe I have seen some kits out there to adapt components to Ferd stuff.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Yes the t-case will hold up, but as Xpress mentioned, you will need an adapter kit because the output shaft on the ford trans is different. Advance adapters has what you need. AND the dana 35 rear end will "possibly" hold if you keep your tire size at 30" and under and stay off the skinny pedal.
But if you are increasing the engine size you are probably not going to remain stock any where else. So the turdy five gotta' go.
The Ford 8.8 rear end out of a 96-01 Ford Explorer is the most popular swap. Make sure your front and rear gear ratios are the same. Yours are 4:11 and the Ford Explorers came with the 4:10 ratio (as long as the ratios are within 3 you are good) on the models with the towing package. You get the benefit of rear disc brakes too. Big plus.
I have done this axle swap and it's easy. I'm still running the 4.2 engine but I'm on 33X12.50/16s. Those would eat a Dana 35 on the first climb.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
On the Tcase you will also need to make sure the clocking is the same or have an adapter. Most Ford stuff uses the Borg Warner stuff. They may make an adapter but it might be cheaper to swap over the Tcase as well.

·
43 Posts
Thing about a lot of V8 swaps are concerns for oil filter and starter locations, also sump locations of the oil-pans along with steering box and pump locations. Seems the Lion's share are GM applications that have gone before us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts