Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is for talking about gear, making gear and using gear.

So I have been gathering all the stuff I need for making my own fishing rods and today I finally busted it out and worked on one. I don't want to practice on all new stuff so I am starting with redoing the eyes on some of my old rods so I am not wasting anything more then string and epoxy. Today I took a crappie rod that is about two feet long and redid the eyes with a two color string that was black and silver. It turned out ok for my first but nothing to write home about. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Very nice. I once purchased a Henson Fly Rod. Looks great but is too nice to drag through the bushes.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Aren't you supposed to be finishing a certain vehicle?

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a fly rod but am waiting for Motorep to teach me how to use it properly.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So this morning I rebuilt one of my old reels I got handed down from my dad. This one would not crank at all, it is a 1958 Garcia Mitchell 300. Took it aprart and the grease had hardened up to where nothing would move. It had been spray painted some time back to a bright red and the nut that holds the spool on was stripped. I cleaned out all the old grease and the gears are like new. I also cleaned all the spray paint off with brake cleaner and amazingly enough the original paint didn't come off. Got it all put back together and it works like new. It's a little ugly but I can't wait to start using it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Picked up a new project today. Picked up a 14 foot fishing boat just needs a little TLC. I'll get some pics up in a few.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Right after he finishes his Jeep!

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I got home and pulled it apart and started cleaning it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
Here are a few pictures of a vintage D.A.M. 110 Microlite reel I picked up at an antique store. It was new in the box with all of the manuals. I paid $25.00 and there's currently one on eBay for $162.00 with 21 bids!

ForumRunner_20120428_195512.jpg

ForumRunner_20120428_195532.jpg

ForumRunner_20120428_195547.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That thing is sweet. I say use it and enjoy it. It's probably better built then most new ones.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've been thinking about finding a vintage rod to go along with it. Seems like the right thing to do. However, I'll need to clean and rebuild it since the grease has hardened and the handle is hard to turn. It was made in Germany in 1967 so I guess that's OK.

BTW, what's the boat for? I thought you had one at the lake already?

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have my 21 foot open bow but I like to bass fish and get into the little nooks and crannies and that one is to pretty to do that with so for a few hundred bucks and some elbow grease I got one I can bang around and not have to worry about and focus more on the fish. I had one like it and sold it about 4 years ago and have regretted it ever since. That and they are light and easy to tow so can go from lake to lake easily.

As for your rod let me know what you are looking for, I have a few vintage rods from that time frame and run across them every now and then. My old reel was a 58-59 or somewhere around there and the grease in that one was hard to. I didn't use grease when I rebuilt but just some Hopps lube for guns and fishing reels.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah, I've got plenty of Hopps!

I'm looking for an ultralite rod. I don't own anything that's spooled with anything above 4lb test. My favorite flyrod is my 4wt so I don't like anything heavy.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll see what I have. If nothing I can always wrap one to look vintage in any type you like.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Little more progress on the boat. Put new bunks on the trailer and gave it a rattle can job. Also re wired it. Still have to put the lights and fenders back on.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts