Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I myself use Craftsman tools pretty exclusively. Yeah, I know there are many other great tools available (Mac, Proto, Snap On, etc.) but they are just too much money for my wallet.

How about you?

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Craftsman. Great tools with a great no questions asked return policy.
There's a Sears or Kmart always nearby. How often do you see a Snapon or Mac truck when you need one?
I'm third generation Craftsman user. My sons are fourth generation.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Craftsman for the most part some snap on and Mac for some specialty stuff though.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
As far as hand tools, I use ones from Harbor Freight. They're cheap, have a lifetime warranty, and do everything i need. I'm very hard on tools, so thats why i get the cheap ones.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Mostly Craftsman in my garage and Harbor Freight for work because they seem to hold up and when I loose them I don't get mad.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
100% Craftsman, even if Toyota doesn't consider them to be professional quality. I'm not a professional :p

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what does Toyota recommend...Harbor Freight? So they can keep the money flowing in their country?

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
They probably want Snap on or another truck brand tool so he could pay at least twice what they are worth and not be able to find customer service.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a LOT of tools and my favorites are Snap-On and Mac. I can't argue Craftsman are a lot cheaper and I do own many but for overall quality, and happiness with brand I give the nod to the first two. I have both SO and Mac truck dealers in my phone so I just call them and meet them on their route since I am no longer a professional mechanic. I also own HF tools but only for trail tools so if I loose some or have to weld one to the rig to make a trail repair I don't care.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
So what does Toyota recommend...Harbor Freight? So they can keep the money flowing in their country?
Toyota cars and trucks are made in the USA... :D

Theres a plant near Vincennes, IN. (at least there was...)

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
They probably want Snap on or another truck brand tool so he could pay at least twice what they are worth and not be able to find customer service.
SnapOn. The guy comes by every week and replaced whatever broken tools we have.

Toyota cars and trucks are made in the USA... :D

Theres a plant near Vincennes, IN. (at least there was...)
Toyota cars and trucks are manufactured both in Japan an the United States. The key to finding which vehicle is made where is what letter comes first in the VIN #. If it's anything other than the letter J, it's not made in Japan.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
SnapOn. The guy comes by every week and replaced whatever broken tools we have.

Toyota cars and trucks are manufactured both in Japan an the United States. The key to finding which vehicle is made where is what letter comes first in the VIN #. If it's anything other than the letter J, it's not made in Japan.

Why are you guys having so many broken Snap On tools? I abuse my tools like no other and rarely break a tool.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Come to think of it I rarely break any tools.

What type of tools are you guys breaking?

I have split a couple sockets but have never once broken a box wrench china or America. I am just curious.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sockets, ratchets, screwdrivers, chisels, hammer, saw, adjustable wrenches, breaker bars, open end wrenches. Probably broken everything but a box wrench, but I have bent a HF box wrench.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Keep in mind we have to repair a lot more cars per day than just 1-2. If we're swamped we will go through 150 cars a day easily. The main dealership is 3-4x that. The guys don't go through tools like mad, but we do wear them out every once in a while.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
I was just curious. I have always believed that if you use something properly and for what it was made for they would rarely break but I guess if you use a screw driver as a pry bar and a ratchet with a breaker bar on it they will definitly not last. I have many tools that were given to me when I was a teenager that I still use today almost twenty years later.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am a heavy diesel mechanic, nothing I work on is small or just snug tight. Yes all the scenarios you have mentioned have played out over the years but they are not the sole reasons the cheap tools broke. Example; I have had a cheap hard plastic screwdriver handle break in pieces in my bare hand while trying to break a screw loose. Even if you have the right tool for the job doesn't ensure it won't break. Some of the spring packs I have replaced have a saddle bolt torque of 1300 Ft.Lb. I don't make it a habit to try and break my tools as this just serves to slow me down or get me hurt, but sometimes tool breakage happens. In no way am I saying a home mechanic spend the money for a complete set of professional grade tools. I would merely suggest buy the best tools one can afford and use them properly.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I was just curious. I have always believed that if you use something properly and for what it was made for they would rarely break but I guess if you use a screw driver as a pry bar and a ratchet with a breaker bar on it they will definitly not last. I have many tools that were given to me when I was a teenager that I still use today almost twenty years later.
The tools last for the most part, it's just the smaller ones that are the issue. Stuff not made from as thick or durable of equipment.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts