Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 Jeep Wranger that my uncle gave me 6 years ago. My uncle has kept the Jeep in great condition with constant maintenance. I drive the Jeep on the weekend just around town so I rarely bring the Jeep to the shop for maintenance. The only sort of maintenance I do is to bring the Wranger in for an oil change every year or so.

A few weeks ago, I was having problem starting the engine. When I turn the ignition key, I would hear the engine making noise like it will start but the engine just won't start. Sometimes I would wait for about 30 min before trying again and the engine would start up. Other times, I have waited for a few hours and the engine just won't start.

I have brought the Jeep into the shop and my mechanic has taken a look at it. Every time he has tried to fix the issue, the engine would not start when I have taken the Jeep home. My mechanic was unable to reproduce this issue but has replaced the following:

Initial coil
Spark Plug
Air filter

I am wondering if anyone has any insight into this issue, and what the next steps would be for trouble shooting?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Take out a spark plug and see if you have spark, and see if you have fuel. If it won't start, it's usually missing one of those two things.

FYI, the worst thing you could ever do for a vehicle is to not use it. I hope that when you do drive it around town, you're running it for long enough to get the engine up to operating temperatures. Because the second worse thing than not driving a vehicle is only making short trips with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 92 Jeep Wranger that my uncle gave me 6 years ago. My uncle has kept the Jeep in great condition with constant maintenance. I drive the Jeep on the weekend just around town so I rarely bring the Jeep to the shop for maintenance. The only sort of maintenance I do is to bring the Wranger in for an oil change every year or so.

A few weeks ago, I was having problem starting the engine. When I turn the ignition key, I would hear the engine making noise like it will start but the engine just won't start. Sometimes I would wait for about 30 min before trying again and the engine would start up. Other times, I have waited for a few hours and the engine just won't start.

I have brought the Jeep into the shop and my mechanic has taken a look at it. Every time he has tried to fix the issue, the engine would not start when I have taken the Jeep home. My mechanic was unable to reproduce this issue but has replaced the following:

Initial coil
Spark Plug
Air filter

I am wondering if anyone has any insight into this issue, and what the next steps would be for trouble shooting?
I realize this is OLD post but no answer from the thread starter!
if it cranks but no start, what happens if you let it sit in the ON position for about 3-5 minutes then try to start? it could be the computer module. the capcitors get dried out and it can take longer for them to CHARGE and leaving it ON will allow that to happen. If this trick works then pull the CPU and replace the 3 capacitors in there (if you dont mind soldering) - its not a job for the faint of heart but its not super hard if you have the basic electonics tools. Iron/solder and the parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Initial coil
Spark Plug
Air filter

Try this next time. Turn the ignition to the RUN position. let it sit for about 5 or 10 minutes. Then see if it starts. If it does your computer need new capacitors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts