Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only been on this site a few times ...but I need some advice. I have a very clean '97 Wrangler with the 4 Cyl. engine and an auto trans. I am restricted to the auto trans due to a leg injury years ago ...so going to a manual tranny is out of the question. In short, I love everything about my Wrangler except the engine. I have read extensively on engine swaps and think I would go with a Chevy V6 4.3L. if I took this project on. My problem is that my friends are telling me to just buckle under and find a different (maybe newer) Wrangler that came from the factory with a V6 and auto trans. Is the engine swap that tough? Maybe one of you has did this ...so I'd appreciate any input. Thanks

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
It's all in what you want. If your jeep is clean, paid off and you love it why not do the swap? If you like the idea of a newer jeep go for it. Do you plan to do it yourself or have it done? Do you live in California?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

No ...I live in Wisconsin. That's what I was leaning to anyway ..to just do the swap. I have been told that the swap is easy by some and a nightmare by others ....but from what I've read online it's not that bad. I have a nice shop with overhead hoist, etc. ...and I have a couple of good friends that are really good with this sort of thing...so I will have help. The only reason I posted was because if I had 10 others come back and say it's just not worth the time, I may have started looking for another unit. Thanks for you input and I think I've made up my mind. I'll post some pictures as I go along ...thanks again ...

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
No ...I live in Wisconsin. That's what I was leaning to anyway ..to just do the swap. I have been told that the swap is easy by some and a nightmare by others ....but from what I've read online it's not that bad. I have a nice shop with overhead hoist, etc. ...and I have a couple of good friends that are really good with this sort of thing...so I will have help. The only reason I posted was because if I had 10 others come back and say it's just not worth the time, I may have started looking for another unit. Thanks for you input and I think I've made up my mind. I'll post some pictures as I go along ...thanks again ...
I'm glad your going for it. Honestly if the aftermarket support is there for bolt in motor mounts, trans adapters, engine control and dash integration and your willing to spend the dime on it I can't see why it would be a nightmare. Now if your trying to tie the jeep harness into the 4.3 harness and do a bunch of custom stuff I can see it being a nightmare but still worth it if that's what you want.. Best of luck!!

Glad you don't live in California, kinda strict on that stuff. Has to be s drive train from a newer vehicle and offered in a jeep factory. Like a Hemi.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts