Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a question about my 02 TJ that maybe someone can help with. First my problem, it's a bit hard to describe but the vehicle drives as if it were heavy up front, (which may be my problem). It doesn't wobble and it's not unstable, it just has a funny feeling as I drive down the road and hit bump's or maybe change lanes. It tends to move around up front a bit. None of my previous jeeps, (newest being a 92), have had this issue.

Here are the basics, 4" RCD lift, 16" AR Teflon's with BFG 33's. It has a Road Armor front bumper with a Warn Winch up front, not sure of the weight. The lift was installed prior to me getting the Jeep but I did some reseach and it was done by Woodlands Performance so I know it was done correct along with wheel alignment etc. I know this is a vauge description of the issue but hopefully someone can help. My only other alternative is to take off the bumper and wince and see if it goes away.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Off the top of my head.
1. How is your air pressure. Could it be the tires following irregularities in the pavement?
2. Are the track bar and the drag link parallel and in the same plane?
3 Have you checked your ball joints?

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Did you add a drop pitman arm? You steering geometry could be out of whack and giving you some bump steer and other weird stuff.

Does it feel like it is kinda wandering?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tire Pressure is correct and it tracks fairly good considering that it's a Jeep. Ball Joints are good and the geometry of the front end is good. This RCD kit seems like it was a good choice for moderate off road drivng in that it provided all of the parts to keep the front end peices as close to the stock locations as possible.
Again it's hard to describe but the closest I can get is that when you make a steering movement it's almost as if it's rolling over in the front. I'm trying to find the weight on the bumper and winch to see just how much is up front. I think that may be my problem. Not sure how I'll fix that though other than weighting the back down a bit.

Thanks for the reply's

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
Make sure the sway bar links are tight at the axle end. The PO of the TJ had assembled them backwards and it always felt weird to me. It felt like it would get to a point in my turn, then fall in the direction opposite of travel. Started looking at other jeeps and realized what the problem was. Fixed them and tightened them up. It's better, but I need to replace the bushings. They have small tears in them.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Glad to hear it was a simple fix. It would be a good idea to make checking that part of your regular maintenance to catch it before it gets too loose and damages the mounting brackets.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
I was in high school when on a dare I jumped someones fence and took the toy from the dog, he was mad but didn't catch me. looking back that was a dumb thing to do.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
I was in high school when on a dare I jumped someones fence and took the toy from the dog, he was mad but didn't catch me. looking back that was a dumb thing to do.
Looking back, we all did dumb things as kids. I once nailed a guys 32 t bucket with apples. Not too smart...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.