Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully we can figure out a way to do a high steer set up on this axle.

Aw12345 here are the pics of the knuckles. Let me know if you need any more.

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
Well here is a question, can you fit like say Ford Knuckles on there? Not much you ca do with these, the Dynatrax axles use the Ford knuckles and ball joints if those would fit you would be golden

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What year ford would I be looking at? I am willing to boneyard one just to see.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have heard that all the Ford stuff will fit. I would like to swap out to 35 spline stuff but might as well find a whole axle.

·
Registered
979 Posts
That is something you would be looking for, Ford is the only manufacturer that uses Dana 60 High pinion front axles. Did some searching and did you flip this axle over? The vacuum disconnect seems to be on the wrong side. Pretty sure that mod no worky

·
Registered
979 Posts
The rest of what I did to this YJ

Worked on my buddy's Jeep, continued where we left of last month.
Last month we rolled the axles under there and tacked all the spring brackets in.Today we flexed it,so we could figure out where and how to mount the shocks and get the amount of up and down travel figured out for the shocks.
Then I welded everything together. Not bad progress for 14 hours of work.
Now he has to figure out his steering and stick some driveshafts in there and he is good to go.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That thing is purdy. And no axle is not flipped. On the rear is it better to have the shocks facing so far back?

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
If you've got the money, you can buy the Reid racing knuckles that are already flat top, they're spendy though

·
Registered
979 Posts
He had 14" travel shocks and to get them to fit and get all the travel out of them that is where they had to go without them hanging below the axle

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I did some research and the 92-96 Ford Balljoint knuckles will fit on my axle. Question is what do they make for those that will help me out?

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I find inner C's with new outer knuckles for about 600 but I might as well just grab a new axle. I think at this point unless I find reasonable priced parts that will work with what I have I will probably just run stock steering until I get a new axle to build.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I find inner C's with new outer knuckles for about 600 but I might as well just grab a new axle. I think at this point unless I find reasonable priced parts that will work with what I have I will probably just run stock steering until I get a new axle to build.
At this point find a way to drop the front to get it level. The move the steering box around to try and get your drag link close to flat, I do not care for drop pitman arms, but one of those will help get things at reasonable angles, make sure you have caster angle and a reasonable angle and go have some fun with your Jeep. Once you get an idea at what should be what and what works for ya it isn't all that hard to change things around to improve on the things you don't like. It's always good to have a starting point

·
Registered
979 Posts
Makes sense. How do they cycle?
My bud was out on disability for a few months, hurt his back. Just recently started messing with it agaqin, will have to see how things are going. I think we set it at about 6" uptravel and the rest down. Now it remains to be seen how well the XJ packs will survive Hammer trails. Seems like we will find out this fall when things cool off again

·
Registered
979 Posts
So I did some research and the 92-96 Ford Balljoint knuckles will fit on my axle. Question is what do they make for those that will help me out?
On those you can run hi steer arms makes steering setup a whole lot easier.
Mate with a Astro or CJ7 pitman arm and you have a nice hi steer setup

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
The diff housing would hit the drop pitman arm on compression. Maybe move the steering box forward a bit?
Can you weld to those cast pieces the tie rod is connected to? Maybe a bracket welded on to get the drag link and tie rod up?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Steering box moved forward is fairly easy to accomplish, some cutting, welding and a new front crossmember and you should clear the tierod just fine

1 - 20 of 21 Posts