Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
im lost
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as many of you, i got VERY tired of holding my license plate while filling up. not only did it always smack back up and make me spill a little but it seemed like i ALWAYS have to tilt the pump handle a little to get it to run continually.

i always saw a "refueling assistant" advertised in quadratec for $45. this just gave me to idea to make it myself.

this is quadratecs product
http://www.quadratec.com/products/13024_00.htm

This is my variation of that.
all parts i had lying around and i got this done in less than an hr on a thurs night at around 730pm.

started with some left over parts from the shopping cart i cut up over a yr ago to make a welding cart.

i cut a piece out and bent it at a 90. i bent most by hand then just put it in the vice and wacked it a couple times with a mallet

now for the mounting to the license plate bracket i just grabbed some spare flat steel i had lying around.

i cut it to size and drilled the holes where i needed (the license plate mounting screws hold it on)

·
im lost
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
next i took 2 spare nuts i had to have something for the rod to swivel in. not sure what size they are but they fit perfect.

after that i measured where they need to be and tacked them in place.

i did a little test fit(didnt get pictures)

everything fit perfect to i finished welding the nuts on, slid the rod in and gave it a fresh coat of paint. just in case i used come engine paint that is resistant to grease and fuel.

this is what it looks like painted on the workbench, i wrapped some electical tape around the end so it wont scratch my paint everytime i prop it up

·
im lost
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
and this is how it swivels.

now it was time to mount it. sorry its dark outside. i took a flashlight to try to get some light on it.

in the down position.

and here it is proped up holding the plate down.

LOOK MOM NO HAND!!!!!!!

this has been something ive wanted to make for a little while just never took the time to do it.

it literally took me less than an hr from the time i walked into my garage to the time i came back inside. that includes coming up with how i wanted to make it, mock up, removing the plate like 3 times, welding and even paint to dry.

-chris

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Looks good! :)

I didnt' know that's where the fill neck is... :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts