Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so the other day I was trying to take my rear differential cover off so I could clean it, paint it, and put new gear fluid in it. I took all of the bolts off but the friggin thing was sealed tightly on there. I tried to get a screw driver to try to pry the cover off but it wasnt budging at all. Is there a way to do this correctly and get the cover off?

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
The gasket kinda glues it on.... You just have to pry it off, but carefully. You don't want to mess up the mating surface.

I use a gasket scraper (its a tough one) and a hammer to break the seal...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok I heard it was glued on somehow. I also heard that you could use a stiff, thiin puddy knife and hammar. Sounds like an all day project hah

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Leave one bolt loosely fitted into the diff cover so if and when you do break the seal, you are not covered with fluid. I also used a putty knife and tapped the left, right and bottom until the fluid came out. Once drained, remove the last bolt and remove the cover. Clean the heck out of both sides of the mating surface and get a good reusable gasket and either silicone only one side or don't silicone either side.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I use Black RTV and no gasket. Not the super black. It dries too fast.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Rik, you are correct. The gasket is used only on the YJ's. When I changed the diff fluid in my TJ, all books said not to use any gasket, and do what you had written. I also used the black RTV, not silicone. I should have been more specific, but was just trying get him help without really thinking too deeply.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Never put one back with a gasket and havent had one leak yet... :)

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I put my old rear back together with a new gasket, was holding just fine until my axle broke...

·
King Thread De-Railer
2,801 Posts
ok so the other day I was trying to take my rear differential cover off so I could clean it, paint it, and put new gear fluid in it. I took all of the bolts off but the friggin thing was sealed tightly on there. I tried to get a screw driver to try to pry the cover off but it wasnt budging at all. Is there a way to do this correctly and get the cover off?
Hammer and a scraper a thin one. be careful tho there tricky and u dont want to dent bend the lip of the cover. then once off your going to want to take a wiz wheel and clean off the old glue/gasket before putting the new one on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts