Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to put the stock tires on to get my jeep re-registered here in the Gulf. I have three
225 70 16 and one P225 70 16 and this tire is slightly taller than the other three.
My buddy gave me the 4 tires and his mechanics chose the one wrong tire. I cant bring it back as its too far and I cant get a replacement as I am in a remote area.

I want to drive the jeep to get it registered and then will put back on my big 32 coopers. Can I run it on the rear with the shorter 225 without damaging my jeep? Or should I run it on the front. I drove it home from the tire shop that put them on and it seemed ok but I'm afraid I could be damaging the gears or axle or something.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
If all the tires are 225/70/16 like you listed they are the same size. If you mis-typed and one actually is smaller, and you had to drive your jeep, i would put the smaller tire on the front axle and don't use the 4wd on any hard surface.

Different size tires on the rear axle could cause the spider gears to turn all the time and damage them.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I concur.

fluff.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm telling ya for sure the one tire that has "P" in front of the 225 70 16 is taller than the other tires that only say
225 70 16. Hard to believe. The P tire is a Wrangler brand tire and the other three are Wild Country.

Anyway, I have them on the back and have been driving it while trying to find a used 225 70 16 without a P
or one with a P so I can have at least 2 that are the same either on the front or back.
I'm worried I have done damage to the spider gears. I would have to drive a lot to damage them wouldnt I?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well then this is a mystery cause the one with "P" is a good inch to 2 inches taller than the
other 3 without P. Its probably why my friends mechanics who loaded them onto my trailer made the mistake as well as I did when I double
checked before I took off to my town in the neighboring country.
My question still stands if it can do any kind of damage by driving it. Otahyoni claims it could damage
the spider gears. Does anyone know this as fact? I have had locals here advise to run it on the rear
and one guy on the forum said put them on the front. I have been given conflicting opinions.
Some locals here say dont worry it wont damage it and others say it will. I cant risk trusting an opinion.
Wish I could get a 100% fact answer. Anyone? Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts