Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You round headlight people are all going to die a horribly wobbly death!

I found this article

It’s a name tailor made for the headlines: The "Jeep Death Wobble." Used to describe a severe vibration reported by owners of certain Jeep Wrangler models, two Democratic members of Congress have written a letter
to Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne urging him to start a consumer outreach campaign informing customers of the issue and their repair options.
California Representatives Henry Waxman and Anna Eshoo took the action despite the fact that a National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) probe earlier this year concluded that the condition “does not result in loss of control,” and did not lead to a recall or other action by the agency.
According to The Detroit News
, out of 402 formal complaints regarding 2005-2010 model year Wranglers, NHTSA found that there were "two possible relevant crashes, one of which alleged nonfatal injuries." Jeep sold a total of 542,134 Wranglers during those model years.
The so-called “death wobble” is relatively common among vehicles that use a solid front axle, and the Wrangler is the only light truck currently on sale that falls into this category. The design is prized for its extreme off-road and heavy duty hauling capability. The wobble is a harmonic resonance resulting from a loose or worn part in the steering or suspension, such as a tie rod end, and usually set off by hitting a bump at a certain speed. It often goes away after the vehicle stops, but can return under similar circumstances. However, if not addressed, over time the vibration can cause damage to other components of the vehicle and exacerbate the issue. Many websites
targeted at off-roaders have sections dedicated to fixing the issue on a variety of vehicles, which is often the result of installing aftermarket parts.
In a statement responding to the letter, Chrysler says of the condition that, “if experienced, it is routinely corrected with a change of tires or installation of a simple steering dampener.” The automaker has issued several Techincal Service Bulletins (TSB) related to the steering system of the Wranglers in question, but hasn’t said if they are a direct response to the alleged issue. TSBs are issued to dealer service departments to inform them of a known problem with a vehicle and instructions on how to deal with it, but are generally not made public.
Waxman and Eshoo wrote to Marchionne that “since these bulletins could be helpful to Jeep owners experiencing wobble, we ask you to make them fully available to customers, or explain in greater detail the justification for withholding this information.”
Mark Williams, editor of PickupTrucks.com
thinks an educational campaign might be helpful to the general consumer, but that the information is already common sense for many of the type of truck enthusiasts attracted to Jeeps. “Owners who know what vehicle is designed for are already familiar with the issue,” he says. “This is kind of a duh moment for them.”
Link to above article:
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/07/09/what-need-to-know-about-jeep-death-wobble/?intcmp=features

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
I'll take my chances, eventually something kills all of us. It said the "Death Wobble" is a condition of all solid front axle vehicles. I have owned several, never seen the issue personally. I keep all of my vehicles maintained impeccably, so no worn out front end parts, bad tires, and the like, to cause it for me is my guess. For those not maintaining their Jeep, and letting it get to an unsafe level of mechanical repair, don't blame Jeep/Chrysler, blame yourself for being too lazy to fix it, or have a shop fix it. That's like saying that a Fork made you fat. No, the choice you made to lift the fork to your mouth too many times, over the amount of food your body actually required, is what made you fat, not the fork itself. Society is too quick to blame others, when they need to look in a mirror, to see the source of the problem.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not really the solid axle per se, it's the solid axle with the coil spring front suspension. The geometry and mechanics of the coil spring setup create a resonance if something is just a little bit off, like uneven tire wear, worn parts, or misalignment.
Most solid axle front vehicles over the years were hung with leaf springs so everything was pretty solid under there. Jeep decided to make the vehicle ride more like a car, so they tossed coil springs under it. It worked, it rides better. It just came with a few glitches and if you don't maintain it you get the death wobble.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's not really the solid axle per se, it's the solid axle with the coil spring front suspension. The geometry and mechanics of the coil spring setup create a resonance if something is just a little bit off, like uneven tire wear, worn parts, or misalignment.
Most solid axle front vehicles over the years were hung with leaf springs so everything was pretty solid under there. Jeep decided to make the vehicle ride more like a car, so they tossed coil springs under it. It worked, it rides better. It just came with a few glitches and if you don't maintain it you get the death wobble.
Yes, and if you get DW, replacing your steering damper (shimmy shock) is NOT an acceptable fix for it, as it just hides the problem and does NOT SOLVE it.

For those of you who have never had DW in your Jeep, it is not a little shimmy you feel from your steering wheel. It is a violent shaking of the steering wheel, and the whole Jeep, feeling like it's going to fall apart. And it CAN happen on stock Jeeps (TJs AND JKs) too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 07 would do the DW dance and I checked and replaced everything I could and it ended up being one tire that was defective and slipped it's belts. Replaced the tire and never had an issue again

(Tires had roughly 11,000 miles on them)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Most times after a lift it is a case of the alignment being off. TJ's seem more prone to it due to the low pinion. My cherokee with all the lift it has and 36 in tires has no issue and i dont run a stabilizer on it with the tera flex steering setup. The only time it has happened on the xj was when the tracbar had broken in two and i was trying to get back to came to weld it. our tj is real touchy on where the alignment is at. Worn tires and parts will speed up the issue also.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Had two cases last week and parked the Jeep until I could work on it. Started with lots of reading on the subject and figured that it might be due to unbalanced tires. Mine came from a repeatable wobble at specific speed. If I let it stay at that speed or hit a bump while in the wobble, I got death wobble. Luckily I was able to stop and control the Jeep on both occasions. After a visit to the tire shop for an alignment and re-balance of the tires, I do not feel the wobble anymore. I am still going to check the whole front end for wear but now I can wait until it cools off around here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Death Wobble

Anyone who is saying the Death Wobble is not a problem with Wranglers is living in fairy tale land. We bought an '07 Sahara in '08 as our primary reporter's vehicle. The smartest thing we did was buy a new car extended warranty because we have been dealing with the Death Wobble issue for almost two and a half years. The dealer has been addressing symptoms, not the problem. No one seems to know what it is, but there is some kind of serious design flaw in the engineering of the vehicle. I finally got the dealer's service manager's attention when I took him out for a drive and he got to experience it first hand at 55 mph. It is not just alignment, not just dampner, it is not a new set of tires. An aftermarket steering stabilizer is managing the problem, but has not fixed it.

ANYONE and EVERYONE who has experienced the Death Wobble needs to call 1-800-CHRYSLER (247-9753 ) and let them know about it. It is not enough to just address the symptoms (ball joints, dampner, trac bar, etc.). Let's get this public safety issue resolved. If it means recalling 2 million vehicles, then so be it.

FYI: I am only alive today because I was able to skillfully maneuver the vehicle to the narrow right side of I-40 across a couple of lanes of traffic AND because the guy driving the 18-wheeler behind me and in the right lane (going 70mph) saw what was happening and let me pass in front of him and get to the side). If he had not been vigilant, I would not be alive to write this.

CHRYSLER: let's get this problem fixed or recalled!

The NHTSB should be recalled if they supposedly reviewed this, because they evidently did not experience it. THIS IS A SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE!, for the driver, his or her passengers, and for vehicles around us.

NOTE: Our vehicle is stock, not lifted or modified in any way.

·
Premium Member
14,500 Posts
Had two cases last week and parked the Jeep until I could work on it. Started with lots of reading on the subject and figured that it might be due to unbalanced tires. Mine came from a repeatable wobble at specific speed. If I let it stay at that speed or hit a bump while in the wobble, I got death wobble. Luckily I was able to stop and control the Jeep on both occasions. After a visit to the tire shop for an alignment and re-balance of the tires, I do not feel the wobble anymore. I am still going to check the whole front end for wear but now I can wait until it cools off around here.

Be sure and check the bushing where the track bar connects to the front diff housing, even the slightest amount of play is not allowed. After tires and aligments, and numerous tire balancing the problem was traced to the bushing, also sometimes the mounting hole get wallowed out.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
Be sure and check the bushing where the track bar connects to the front diff housing, even the slightest amount of play is not allowed. After tires and aligments, and numerous tire balancing the problem was traced to the bushing, also sometimes the mounting hole get wallowed out.
Exactly. People that own TJs and JKs, not necessarily anybody here, but the population in general, need to understand that these are a different type of vehicle. They have to be maintained differently. I check my suspension regularly. And I torque stuff down. Especially after a trip off road. If Chrysler "repaired" death wobble, the Jeep wouldn't be capable of doing the things it can.

People need to quit blaming Chrysler for everything and take some ownership.

I'll get off my soap box now.

·
HIGHWAY APPROVED MUSTANG
9,687 Posts
what he said........also folks remember its just not jeep's ,,,,any car\truck\suv with a solid front axle is pron to DW...
i am starting to develope DW,, not bad mind you,,, but new ball joints and a monstar track bar are going in ASAP

·
Low Output 2.5
674 Posts
Wow glad I haven't experienced DW, 235K on all original components. I have one tie rod end that the boot is starting to split, so I'll be going through the front end soon...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Anyone who is saying the Death Wobble is not a problem with Wranglers is living in fairy tale land. We bought an '07 Sahara in '08 as our primary reporter's vehicle. The smartest thing we did was buy a new car extended warranty because we have been dealing with the Death Wobble issue for almost two and a half years. The dealer has been addressing symptoms, not the problem. No one seems to know what it is, but there is some kind of serious design flaw in the engineering of the vehicle. I finally got the dealer's service manager's attention when I took him out for a drive and he got to experience it first hand at 55 mph. It is not just alignment, not just dampner, it is not a new set of tires. An aftermarket steering stabilizer is managing the problem, but has not fixed it.

ANYONE and EVERYONE who has experienced the Death Wobble needs to call 1-800-CHRYSLER (247-9753 ) and let them know about it. It is not enough to just address the symptoms (ball joints, dampner, trac bar, etc.). Let's get this public safety issue resolved. If it means recalling 2 million vehicles, then so be it.

FYI: I am only alive today because I was able to skillfully maneuver the vehicle to the narrow right side of I-40 across a couple of lanes of traffic AND because the guy driving the 18-wheeler behind me and in the right lane (going 70mph) saw what was happening and let me pass in front of him and get to the side). If he had not been vigilant, I would not be alive to write this.

CHRYSLER: let's get this problem fixed or recalled!

The NHTSB should be recalled if they supposedly reviewed this, because they evidently did not experience it. THIS IS A SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE!, for the driver, his or her passengers, and for vehicles around us.

NOTE: Our vehicle is stock, not lifted or modified in any way.
I've experienced really bad death wobble. But I didn't throw a toddler fit like you just did. What I did was... Fix it. Last wrangler did that. My current one from 2000 doesn't have that issue.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Exactly. People that own TJs and JKs, not necessarily anybody here, but the population in general, need to understand that these are a different type of vehicle. They have to be maintained differently. I check my suspension regularly. And I torque stuff down. Especially after a trip off road. If Chrysler "repaired" death wobble, the Jeep wouldn't be capable of doing the things it can.

People need to quit blaming Chrysler for everything and take some ownership.

I'll get off my soap box now.
Agreed... It can happen with any SOLID Axle vehicle.. Generally DW happens due to worn out bushings, shocks and what not due to BAD ownership... Lazy lazy lazy people with their heads up their poop chutes.
If you look at the front end and junk is loose such as control arms, track bar and etc... You're probably gonna get DW... If not that, you're gonna at least make a trip to the hardware store.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.