Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You folks that have been on here for awhile have probably talked this subject to death. However, being the "Newby" in here, I'm going to re-open this subject again.

I have an '04 LJ Unlimited with ProCompII 3" lift, 16" BF Goodrich AT tires, and 16" American Racing wheels. I bought this Jeep about 7 years ago and it had 6,000 miles on it. It now has 35,000 original miles on it. I have been dealing with different levels of this "death wabble" since I bought it. I'm actually very tired of messing with it. I took it - the last time - to a local Jeep mechanic. He told me what I've heard a thousand times thus far - "Oh, I promise I can take the shake out of your Jeep." Well, as expected, he didn't.

I have been told that it is the tires, front-end problems, etc, etc, etc. The last guy that looked at it discovered exactly what I have been telling everyone - it only has 35,000 miles on it, the front-end is not worn out. Guess what - the front end is not worn out. The last guy told me to put different tires on the front. If the front end is wabbling from left to right and not up and down, how are new tires going to help?

I am tired of throwing money down a hole over this deal. I could go on and on with all the things people have told me to do. The only place that remotely helped was Wal Mart in Canyon, TX. They balanced the tires with about 22 oz per tire and it quit until the stick on weights would sling off. However, I have been to 10 or more tire stores that can't even balance the tires. So, a grocery store can almost get the shake out, but a tire store can't????? What's up with that?

Ask me whatever questions you desire and I'll be glad to give you answers. I just need to know what to do about this. I even bought 4 OEM wheels and was intent on yanking all the crap out from under the Jeep and putting it all OEM to get rid of the shake. I can only drive 50 miles an hour on the highway to keep it in my lane. Faster begins the rodeo!!!

Please tell me your suggestions. I have tried to contact ProComp and apparently, they think I want them to buy me a new Jeep or something because they refuse to answer me.

Help??????

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
According to many here its your headlights. Toss the round ones in the garbage, and install the square (actually rectangular) ones, anyway you like. Duct tape should hold them on okay, or crazy glue.
End of all prblems, you will also have 92 more HP, and mileage will increase by 46MPG.

Yes, I am joking.. I laugh now every time I read about headlight shape on here. My jeep has round headlights, no shake, no wobble, but then mine is stock. Yours has alterations, so who knows what one (s) are messing it up. But since a tire balance once helped it, seems logical to start at the tires. Maybe find someone with a jeep that is not having issues. And trade him/her tires and wheels for an hour or so and go driving. See if yours is now fine, and the other one sucks. Often tires look fine, but can cause an issue. I had an issue with a car once, the almost new crap year tires were the issue. I tried tires from another car, and my car was fine, so I went and bought new tires to replace my nearly new crap years, and will never buy that brand again.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
According to many here its your headlights. Toss the round ones in the garbage, and install the square (actually rectangular) ones, anyway you like. Duct tape should hold them on okay, or crazy glue.
End of all prblems, you will also have 92 more HP, and mileage will increase by 46MPG.

Quoted for truth.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Those with the square light make up all kinds of ridiculous "facts" to hide their inadequacies and the secret longing they have to have round eyes. Just remember, repeating something over and over does not make it true. (Obama) :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
OP, what size tires are you running? 22oz on you tire, you should almost be using balancing beads. no worries about them falling off, lol. The guy who said he'd take the shake out probably only replaced the steering stabilizer, which is only a band-aid to the problem, not a cure. I would start with trying different tires like Kelowna said. Then either replace the ones you have, or try beads to balance them, and also get a 4-wheel alignment. if it is not gone away from that, check your front track bar bushings, bolt, and mounts. if the bushing on the axle end is worn out, it will allow the axle to move side to side causing DW. It can also oval out the holes in the mount for the bolt from the constant vibration. since you say this has been going on for some time, it may be advisable to also replace all your ball joints and tie rod ends, as the prolonged vibration can prematurely wear these components out too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just fixed the death wobble on my 05. New shocks, steering stabelizer, alignment and new tires. The Jeep had 60k miles, 30k on the BF AT tires. Good luck with your Jeep, the wobble sucks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Those with the square light make up all kinds of ridiculous "facts" to hide their inadequacies and the secret longing they have to have round eyes. Just remember, repeating something over and over does not make it true. (Obama) :D
Isn't that the truth!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts