Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've mentioned previously, I have the Cobra 75 CB, but I have some broken wires at the plug.

The little screw that holds the plug together came out and I didn't notice. And as a result, moving it between vehicles, it ended up breaking some of the wires. I've bought a new plug from Cobra, but now I cannot find my diagram that had the color of each wire and which plug lead it goes to. There are 5 wires (purple, blue, yellow, clear/white, and silver).

So those of you with Cobra 75's, I really need your help!!!! Can you open up that plug by removing that screw and taking pics of the wire colors underneath? If I know which color goes where, I won't fry the board and I'll have a working CB again. If you can get several from a few angles, it would REALLY REALLY help!

Tip: When you reassemble, please use a drop of loctite so it doesn't come out again!!!! That is my plan when I get it working again!!!

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I will open mine up today and get you some crappy Iphone quality pics,

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Better yet.... You could use this schematic and get the same result.....

Cobra75Diagram.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually found that pic, but I still have a silver/stranded wire and a clear/white sheathed wire that I'm not sure about. Every file I've found about this CB I have saved on my drive. :) lol

I THINK the clear/white wire goes to pin #5 and the silver one to #3, but again, not certain and want to confirm that part of it.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
the "silver/stranded" wire is a shield wire for the center core of the antenna wire (clear/white sheathed wire)
You can see it in the diagram. The shielded wire goes to the "grounded" portion of the antenna (outside edge)
The center core wire is the actual antenna wire in the center.
So the shield wire (silver/stranded) goes to pin 3 and the center core wire (clear/white sheathed) goes to pin 5.
The thicker wire in the diagram is the shield wire.
You could also take the other jack that is on the under dash unit apart and look at that one. It will mirror the mic jack.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Rik. That's what I went with!

Loctited the small screw in place just to make sure this thing doesn't come apart again since it does see use between vehicles.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
So is it working?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haven't had a chance to try it yet. :) But I'll be hopefully getting to that tonight. It's been a LONG week...

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
It should be fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm thinking so. But I did pick up a 29 WxNwSt for $20.00. That may end up in my Avalanche so the 75 can stay in the Jeep. :)

OR the 29 may go in the Jeep with the 75 moved to the Avalanche... Haven't decided yet. The 29 in the Jeep means I'll be building an overhead console for it.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I had a CB in an overhead console before. The mic cord hanging down and swinging back and forth was really annoying. JMHO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts